1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by n9xlg, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n9xlg

n9xlg Thread Starter

I have a Dell Insperion 530s micro tower that no longer connects to the internet. A few days ago none of the connected devices (2 computers and direct tv box wired, or any wireless device) would connect to the internet. I took the router out of the mix all together and plugged in my computer to the modem directly, in which after some resetting and restarting I was able to get it to connect to the internet. I tryed the other computer and it connected straight away, so i gathered that the router had went bad. Then one morning I was on line with my computer with no problems connecting, and 24 hours later that same computer would not connect to the internet. I have reset the modem, did a restore point to a time when I knew it was connecting fine, uninstalled the NIC and rebooted the computer, did a ip renew and release, let windows vista attempt to fix the problem, and still I cannot get this computer to connect to the internet. The other computer connects just fine each and everytime. I am at a loss as to the reason for this, could someone give me some ideas to try and get this Dell working online again. This one is the one I use for everything, all my saved sites with passwords, the whole thing, the other computer is used by someone else in the house.:(

Thank you in advance for your help!! :)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Remember to power cycle the modem when switching the device connected to it.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after each command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice