1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Colour, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Colour

Colour Thread Starter

I recently bought a new computer which came with a USB Wireless 802.11 b/g Adaptor. But the connection with this adaptor is only getting a minimal connectivity of 1 to 2 bars out of 5 bars. The Adaptor is only about 2-4 meters away from the router. The router connects fine with my brothers laptop getting 5 bars at over 10 meters away. Can someone find a solution for this problem please. Would be appreciated.

2. invalidusername

invalidusername

Are you using the same adapter that you are having problem with in brother's laptop, or his laptop has its own wireless adapter.

Try the following:

Move computer around by a few inches, left then right, front then back. Each time pay attention to the bars see if there is any change. I so, place the computer in the spot with the most bars.

Use a different USB port. For example, if connected in the back, connect it to the front.

Change the position/location of the router by a couple of feet, up/down. left/right. see if that makes any diffrence.

3. Colour

Colour Thread Starter

My brother's laptop is using another adapter. The adapter i am using is plugged in through a screw shaped hole which has a wire sticking in the middle. It's very different from the ones i used in the past. Would purchasing a wireless adapter that is compatable with the router faster and better?

4. invalidusername

invalidusername

You bought a new computer which came with a USB Wireless 802.11 b/g Adaptor. That adapter should be compatible with the router, otherwise you won't be able to connect at all. Try doing what I said above to see if it makes any diffrence. Of course, all adapters are not made the same, some perfom better than others. But, first try to see if moving things around can help. Sometimes bad signal reception is due to propagation or noise issues so by moving things around you may be able to solve it.

Also, keep in mind that if you have a good solid connection, it does not matter how many bars who has, what matters is if you feel your performance is much slower than his.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "The adapter i am using is plugged in through a screw shaped hole which has a wire sticking in the middle."

I thought you said it is a USB adapter? I don't understand what you mean by "screw shaped hole." Can you explain? Or tell us what new computer has one of those "holes"? Is the reason you haven't tried it with your brother's computer because it has no such hole?

6. Colour

Colour Thread Starter

i mean a tv cable type of plug.

7. invalidusername

invalidusername

Terrynet, is he talking about the antenna connector?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Terrynet, is he talking about the antenna connector?"

Beats me!

What's the brand and model of the wireless adapter? Have you tried it in the other computer?

9. invalidusername

invalidusername

Colour,

Please provide more information. Model number of the adpater, if you can, take a picture and post it. This does not sound like something normal.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Probably installing the antenna that came with the wireless card would be a good first step!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice