1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connectivity and latency monitor

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Shiverwarp, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shiverwarp

Shiverwarp Thread Starter

I'm having problems with my wireless internet that I'd like to diagnose. I've found the app "Netmon" which does a good job, but I wish it had an option to record times when the latency times out or is about a certain level, anyone know of a program like that?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Latency (speed) of a connection never times out, only connections time out. Have you used the ping command to measure your latency?

Visit here. Then click on Tools at the top and use Dr Ping and Speed Tests to get a measurement.

-- Tom

3. Shiverwarp

latency is regarded as the time it takes for a ping command to reach a host, and if it never reaches it, isn't that called timing out?

Anyway, I'm not trying to get a one time measurement, like I said in my original post, I'm trying to find out at what times my connection is having problems.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

No. Timing out is when a specific time limit is placed on an operation and the time expires. An example of a lack of a time out is when a disk I/O operation at a low level on a SCSI disk has no time outs specified at the adapter level communicating with the hard drive, and never responds locking up a system (I/O channel). In this case, the only resolution is to recode the SCSI bus adapter software with timeouts on the I/O commands to the hard drive.

If a ping does not reach a host, the proper question to ask is why? A knowledge of the time of when a connection starts to have a problem is not as valuable a piece of information as why it is having a problem - then when you know, it may be possible to do something about it.

On my dialup, almost daily I can usually tell when my connections are having problems - and shortly thereafter my modem will hang up based on no response to 4 echo requests which is the configured limit (or timeout) on the modem determining to hang up and reconnect.

A ping usually does not work when a website is either overloaded and cannot respond or has severe problems which cause it to be unavailable.

-- Tom

5. Shiverwarp

I'm still looking for a program like this, I seem to remember I found one but I forgot the app name and the site. If anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be great, in the mean time I'll keep looking

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice