1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connectivity issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lorenses, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lorenses

Lorenses Thread Starter

Hello,

Since October (roughly), our internet connection has been dropping. It can happen several times a day, to once every few days, and it can happen at any time of the day. It doesn't matter if the whole family is using the internet, or just one person - the internet will drop randomly. However, the internet does seem more prone to dropping if someone is making a video call, watching Youtube videos or downloading something, but sometimes it will drop if you're simply surfing the internet.

90% of the time, the only way to reconnect to the internet is to reset the router and wait 5-10 minutes. Occasionally, I can reconnect to the internet by right clicking on the Wireless Network Connection and selecting 'Troubleshoot problems.' I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the connectivity issues but whenever the internet drops, my laptop is always online just before we are all disconnected.

I have already tried updating our router's firmware but it is already up to date. I have also changed wireless channel so it is on Channel 1 but we still disconnect. My drivers are also up to date.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4077 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6470M, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 288454 MB, Free - 158687 MB;
    Motherboard: Sony Corporation, VAIO
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. Lorenses

Lorenses Thread Starter

I just had a 'mini disconnection,' (so didn't need to reset the router, the internet was out for my laptop for a minute before reconnecting itself) and this is the error I get when I tried to access a website: 'The server at www.google.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.

Here is my ipconfig...
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32> ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hannah-VAIO
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 96-00-4E-AF-71-D2
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Con
    troller (NDIS 6.20)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F0-BF-97-1A-C1-FC

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-00-4E-AF-71-D2
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::84d:d80b:829:f69b%10(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 13 February 2013 14:30:16
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 March 2149 23:53:01
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 239865710
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-8B-FF-64-F0-BF-97-1A-C1-FC

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A0E7FE47-3B0B-4932-84D4-537B131BA80D}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.Belkin:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #5

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:12:1c5d:3f57:fdfd(Prefer
    red)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::12:1c5d:3f57:fdfd%14(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Windows\system32>

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You seem to be not sure where the disconnect is. Is it just the wireless devices disconnect from the router, but ethernet connected devices still have internet access? Or, do the disconnects happen with a computer connected directly to the modem? Or, does the modem or router have any LEDs that indicate the location of the disconnects?

4. Lorenses

Lorenses Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Sorry, I am not very good with this kind of stuff :eek: All devices in the house are connected wirelessly to the router, no one is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable. So, I'm not sure if ethernet connected devices remain online when the wireless devices are disconnected from the internet. I haven't had the chance to try this anyway because there are usually multiple people using the internet in the house at once and we only have one ethernet cable.

This morning however, our internet dropped again, and I had a look at the router - the Security, Wireless and Router lights were on. The Wired light was off, but it was off because no one is connected via a wired connection. The ADSL and Internet lights were also off. We have a Belkin N Wireless Modem Router, the model is F5D8636-4 v2.

Edit: I'm aware that our ISP (Plusnet) has been undergoing some maintenance today and yesterday (which could explain why I've had more disconnects than usual and slow internet the past 2 days), but even when they are not undergoing maintenance, we still get disconnected from the internet, sometimes up to several times per day.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, that's a good indication that the problem is not within your wireless network. Could be a problem with the modem/router, your internal wiring, a missing or defective filter, or an ISP problem.

For the modem/router, if you have control over it, make sure you have the latest firmware; then reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure it. Make sure you know the correct configuration before doing this.

6. charan5b3

charan5b3

Relocate the router, keep your router away from micro ovencordless phone, remove router power supply from ups or spike , that avoid interference, if you android install wifianalyzer or in system install vistumbler and analyse nearby. Other home users channel they are using or simply set it too auto
    Change dhcp lease time to forever or 4,6,8 hours any of time. Reply the result, check router log for.further investigetion

7. Lorenses

Lorenses Thread Starter

We definitely have the latest firmware updated. I'm just wondering though, why would resetting the router back to its factory defaults help with the connectivity issues? We hadn't been tampering with it when the connectivity issues began (afaik), but I will try it out, thank you :) If this fails, do you think a new router would be in order? Or perhaps a call to our ISP?

The router is not near any cordless phones, it's near a window (this is the only place it can be) so it also never overheats. I will give 'Vistumbler' a try tonight and try and change the dhcp lease time to forever, thank you for your input :)

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because if there is a problem with a router (not with the user controlled settings) the only three things you can do is update the firmware or reset to factory defaults or replace the router. And after updating firmware it is good practice to reset to factory defaults in case the data layout in the new firmware differs from the old firmware.

9. Lorenses

Lorenses Thread Starter

Ok, I will try resetting it tonight (or sometime very soon), thank you :) In a few days time I'll give you an update if the solution has or hasn't worked.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice