1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connectivity: My router's fault, or Qwest's?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by beeblez, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beeblez

beeblez Thread Starter

I know this question has been asked before, but in all the cases I've read it was purely Vista's problem, or the people only had Vista. I have both Vista and Linux Mint, and on both OS's I have the same problem.

I got my laptop last November, and apart from two big virus scares, it's been great. Back home in Oregon, at both my old house and my parents' place, it had no problems at all connecting to the internet and getting a good connection in general. At my old place I even had Qwest, and it was fine. I recently moved to Colorado, and got Qwest here because it was supposedly cheaper than Comcast, and it's been terrible. I'm not sure if it's Quest's service here or if it's the router my dad sent me from Oregon. The router is a Netgear WGR614 v6.

The problem is this: I can connect to the internet, but it's not without a fight. The worst is with Facebook, and this problem occurs with both Linux and Vista. I'll open a browser with Firefox, Google Chrome, or IE8, and most of the time Google loads fine, but lately iGoogle has been loading everything except my gadgets, which show "Server Cannot Be Found" errors. Then, I'll try to go to any other page, and it says "Page Load Error: Server Cannot be Found." After refreshing the page several times, it'll load properly, but if I click a link on the page, the same thing happens going to the link. With Facebook, it'll only load certain things. It won't load pictures, and sometimes it won't even load the buttons, and I can very rarely connect to facebook chat.

When I run Windows Diagnostics, both times it comes up with something that can't be resolved automatically, but it alternates between telling me "There may be a problem with your Domain Name Server (DNS) Configuration" and "Windows has confirmed that this computer is having connectivity issues." I'm fairly certain it's not my laptop, because I can connect to the wireless at work and get online perfectly, no problems at all, on either Linux OR Vista.

Should I contact Qwest about this and complain about it, or is it my router being finicky? I'm inclined to think it's Qwest, but I didn't have a problem with them before. Of course, before I was in a house and now I'm in an apartment. Does that make a difference?

2. Dezaras

Dezaras

One way to be sure, bypass the router for awhile at home and see if the issue persists, if it does, then Qwest, if it does not, then finicky router or wireless issues if we are speaking of wireless.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice