1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connectivity problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GoJo, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoJo

GoJo Thread Starter

Hi all

For the last month or so my internet connection has being acting up badly. When I try to view webpages, it comes up with a DNS error. Then if I refresh it goes to the page as normal speed (2mbps connection). I can browse for awhile, but then the same issue will reoccur after a while (e.g 10 min)

The problem is not the ADSL connection (it works fine on other connected computers), it is not the browser (problem occurs in both Explorer & Firefox). And the really weird thing is that if I create a new user without Administrator rights, the problem goes away for that user. But as soon as I change the rights to an Adminstrator, the problem reoccurs. I have tried to identify processes or applications that are being installed for Administrator only, but no luck.

Any ideas? This is becoming a major problem as I need to work in the Administrator account (in order to install progs, anti-virus updates, etc). Is it perhaps a registry issue? (if so - suggested fixes please!)

Thanks
    :confused:

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

it might be a bad nic card or usb connection and you didn't mention how you connect.

disk cleanup, i check all boxes and defrag from time to time.

3. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

try using safemode with networking

and go to as many websites (using firefox to be safe) as possible and see if the problem still happens

if the problem stops then the problem is that you have something running in the background that is causing the problem and we will have a fix for you

to get into safe mode restart and before windows starts to load, start tapping f8

4. GoJo

GoJo Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tried Safemode (and diskclean up) but it did not help, unfortunately.

I connect via Netgear firewall route, but I do not see how it can be a hardware issue as the problem does not occur when using the router & a laptop, or even on my computer when using a User without Administrator rights

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice