Internet connectivity - TC/IP not enabled

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hectorbun

I am running Windows XP, with Office 2003, Zone Alarm, AVG, Ad-aware and Easy Cleaner. A couple of weeks ago my internet connection failed, and then Windows would not load at all. I was using an Origio router. My PC supplier after numerous phone calls decided the hard disc had failed and put in a new one.

Since then I have still been having connectivity problems. The only way I have found to get back on line is the use the 'system restore' function. Rebooting the PC and/or modem doesn't work.

After the hard disc was replaced I installed a Binatone Modem instead of using the router, in case that was the problem. Trying to load the Origio software resulted in warnings of conflicts. The Origio shortcut is on the desktop and the programme appears in add/remove programmes. I have tried to remove it - but it seems to come back again - duh!

Yesterday I lost my connection again whilst listening to online radio and had to do yet another system restore. When I tried to 'repair' the connection in Network Connections I got the message 'TC/IP is not enabled for this connection'. When I ran a diagnostic on the modem I got the message 'PPO PVC OPP layer connection failed' (I am in the UK). One other intermittant message I get popping up is 'a network cable is unplugged'. It appears then goes again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this? Many thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It could be as simple as a bad NIC, or perhaps your TCP/IP stack is corrupted. Here's a couple of things to try.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

hectorbun

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply

Have reset the Winsock as per your suggestion

However, not sure about how to reset the TC/IP stack. Hope this isn't a too daft question, but how do I find out the log file name?

:eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online