Internet connectivity

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ron1of7

My brother-in-law moved to Germany. His computer sat in the other brother-in-law's garage for about 18 months. Then my wife convinced him to donate that computer to one of my daughters (who is a freshman in college). My job was to 'make it work'.

It booted ok so I tryed to connect to the Internet. No go. I made sure the drivers for the NIC card were up to date. I reviewed the settings and tryed to set it to automatically get an ID from the router that I am using for net connectivity. The weird thing is that it is not getting an ID for my local network. When I run IPCONFIG, it shows a number that would seem to be from my ISP.

Does anyone have an idea how I can force it to use a number from my local range? If I needed to manually enter a network id, where would be the spot?

It is an older COMPAQ running XP. The NIC card is a 3COM Etherline III. Thanks.

Ron1of7 said:
My brother-in-law moved to Germany. His computer sat in the other brother-in-law's garage for about 18 months. Then my wife convinced him to donate that computer to one of my daughters (who is a freshman in college). My job was to 'make it work'.

It booted ok so I tryed to connect to the Internet. No go. I made sure the drivers for the NIC card were up to date. I reviewed the settings and tryed to set it to automatically get an ID from the router that I am using for net connectivity. The weird thing is that it is not getting an ID for my local network. When I run IPCONFIG, it shows a number that would seem to be from my ISP.

Does anyone have an idea how I can force it to use a number from my local range? If I needed to manually enter a network id, where would be the spot?

It is an older COMPAQ running XP. The NIC card is a 3COM Etherline III. Thanks.
Hi Ron1of7,

Contact the Moderators by clicking on the white outlined in red triangle at the upper right-hand corner of your original post at TSG, and ask them to move your thead over to the Networking subforum where you will stand a better chance of getting help on this networking matter.

-- Tom

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've moved you to networking for better exposure.

How about you start by telling what patch level of Windows you're running. Also, are you connecting this to a router, directly to a modem, dial-up, what?

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

Ron1of7

Thank you for the response. I continued to fiddle with it and finally got results a couple of days ago. My apologies for not posting.

Ron

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online