1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet constantly freezing over wifi with strong signal from Netgear router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ssshhhh, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssshhhh

ssshhhh Thread Starter

Hi all - you might notice this is my first post here, so patience is appreciated :)
    So here's my story...I have cable internet through Cox, renting a Netgear CG3000D gateway from them. Starting about a month after installation the internet started freezing over wifi. I say freezing because it would just suddenly stop, and the only way to get it to start coming through again is to reset wifi from the device. This happens with every device we use...smartphones, tablets, laptops, wii, and lately it's been at least a dozen times a day. I've spent hours on the phone with Cox, had their techs out to the house three times now, and still no solution. I'll admit that I'm no expert when it comes to this stuff, but I really don't appreciate them charging me $50 a pop to come to my house and ask if I tried resetting the modem, suggesting I just unplug it for a minute, tell me it's working fine after they hold a signal on their phone for 10 seconds...one spent a couple hours knocking around outside before coming back in to say he ran all new cables, drilled holes through my house to move the modem to a better spot, and everything should be fine. It's not.
    Anyway...after hours of research online I'm convinced the problem is somewhere in the modem's settings, or just a faulty modem. I've lost hope in getting any help from Cox, so am here hoping that someone with some real knowledge can help me. There are no issues with the wifi signal itself - it's always strong - just the internet coming over it drops out, often as frequently as every 30 seconds...I can't stream a song, watch a video, download or even update an app over wifi on my smartphone.
    If this info helps, it happens every day with two iPhones, a Wii, an iPad, a MacBook running OSX 10.6.8, and various Android phones and tablets of friends. I've only tried basic things like changing the channel in the wireless network settings with no luck. I'd be happy to post any info that anyone would need to help, just tell me what you need.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice