1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet crashes

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dumdiddy, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dumdiddy

dumdiddy Thread Starter

I use a wireless router to play online games and have used wireless for the past year, it's been absolutely fine and worked well. Today however it has crashed several times, stopping me from not only playing games but also using internet explorer. Every time i reset the router or click to repair it, it will do so, but crash again several minutes later.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you could try a recovery on the PC to be the issue started
    start> programs>accessories>system tools>system restore - choose a date before the problem

anyone else using wireless and is it working OK for them ?

lets have a look at an xirrus screen shot

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
    Then run and install the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. dumdiddy

dumdiddy Thread Starter

I've also noticed that the mouse is always showing the egg timer as if it's always trying to load something.. Don't know if that means anything? And thank you for the fast response, i'll try and give it a go :)

4. dumdiddy

dumdiddy Thread Starter

Well this is what i got.. I couldn't connect to the internet at all now. Whenever i clicked to repair the connection it got stuck on 'renewing IP address', it will stay with that message for a few minutes then say there was a problem renewing the IP address.

Attached Files:

5. dumdiddy

dumdiddy Thread Starter

I tried using the system restore, i restored it to 2 days ago when i had no problems at all. Doesn't seem to have made a difference though :/ It still gets stuck on renewing my IP address.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    well the wireless can be seen, so something is blocking
    what security suite do you have or have you ever had on the PC - norton, mcafee etc
    lets see an ipconfig /all and some ping tests

{ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    {Ping Tests}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
    post back results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

7. dumdiddy

dumdiddy Thread Starter

Here are my results, and as for the security suites, i use COMODO internet security but i've had that well over a year and nothing has changed with that. Recently two new ones have turned up.. not sure if my brother installed it on my PC or something seeing as we share. One was norton internet security, and the other i can't remember the name of, i've deleted them both now and there's been no difference.

I'd be really interested to know though why my mouse icon comes up with the egg timer icon every few seconds, for a few seconds.. before disappearing and then reappearing again. Do you have any idea why this could be? It's never done that before.. since today. Could it be a virus of some sort? I did a virus scan with COMODO internet security, it found 9 threats so i removed them, this was after the problem started however so i don't think i removed something which could have caused this...

8. dumdiddy

dumdiddy Thread Starter

Forgot to attach them haha :)

Attached Files:

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    post a HJT log - see signature for program - i will then move to virus forum - that sounds like you have a virus

did you use the removal tools to get rid of Norton and the other one ?

do the following

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    The please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Post back the results here
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Post back the results here
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

10. dumdiddy

dumdiddy Thread Starter

hmm i typed in those commands and the message came up 'please restart' or something.. So i restarted from the start menu.. When the PC rebooted the CMD didnt' come back up, altho for some reason my documents came up.. I'm guessing u wanted the results of the CMD though and not what was in my documents? If it didn't come up should i have restarted differently or something? :p

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no its OK - so long is you didnot get any error messages or need elevation messages or access denied

i assume it still does not work

12. dumdiddy

dumdiddy Thread Starter

Sorry i'm confused what exactly do you need me to post? :) The CMD didn't come up again so how do i view the results?

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you dont need to do anything to post do you remember if the commands actually worked or if you received a message like need elevation messages or access denied

14. dumdiddy

dumdiddy Thread Starter

Ahh ok nope i got no error messages :)

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    lets see an HJT log and then i will move to virus forum - note that may take a day to two to decode

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice