1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet cuts out whenever downloading large files

Discussion in 'Networking' started by spycaper51, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spycaper51

spycaper51 Thread Starter

I've recently switched from Verizon 2 Mbps to Time Warner 15 Mbps (both were wireless), and installed a new router that I bought off the tech guy while he was there. After setting up the router with Warner and hooking it up, I noticed a strange problem with this new internet connection:

Whenever I'd download a large file, say larger than a few MB, my internet would lock up and crash - forcing me to disconnect from and then reconnect to the wireless signal to resolve the problem. This happens either during large file downloads, or heavy traffic moments such as loading multiple webpages at once. So, whenever my internet connection dies on me, a quick windows diagnostic says that the DNS cannot be contacted because there is no ethernet connection. What's more, though, is that this apparently only happens with my wireless connection, because the downstairs computer which is hooked up to the router with an ethernet cable never experiences this problem.

This has me genuinely confused here. Is my computer simply forgetting for a split second that it uses wireless and just defaults to looking for a LAN connection? Or is this a problem with the router, or the service provider itself - Time Warner - since I never had this problem with Verizon.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please educate me on this. Verizon has both DSL and mobile wireless, and 2 Mbps sounds reasonable for either. But I thought that Time Warner was only (coax) cable? And 15 Mbps download sounds to me like a cable service, not mobile wireless and not fixed wireless.

What networking equipment (brand and model) do you have? You mentioned a "modem" and a "router." Anything else?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice