1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Dial Up Autoconnects at Bootup.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jack1000, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

My problem is that my dial up connection is automatically activating when the computer is first booted up. (I.E 6's "Connection Wizard" automaticaly connects when computer is booted up.) I want to only connect automatically when I open I.E 6. How do I correct this problem?

I also went to a site and although I didn't download anything from it, I got two Spyware programs installed on my computer. Fortunately, I was able to remove them through Control Panel+Add=Remove Programs with no problems. However, Windows still wants to use my dial-up connection after a bootup. I have Windows 98 (Original) and I.E 6 on a Gateway PC.

Jack

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

in modems or your dialup connection you've checked a box for it to auto dial.

3. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I am looking in both places and do not see an autodial box to uncheck. Any ideas how to do this in Windows 98 or with the IE 6 Intenet Connection Wizard? Remember, I only want the computer to autodial when IE6 is opened and not when the computer first boots up.

Jack

4. Tranquility

Tranquility

Open, Tools, Internet Options, in the Connections tab, check the box that says "Never Dial a Connection".

5. Deke40

Deke40

It sound pretty suspicious if the programs you removed got on your pc about the time this dial up problem happened.

I would first go to the Security forum and use the proper sticky and run all the recommended programs to be sure you have a clean system an no auto-dialers.

If everything is clean look for a program on your pc that is trying to do an auto update and causing the problem.

6. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Guys,

I think I've got the best solution. Since my computer is 6 years old, I am in the process of upgrading from dial-up to DSL. Due to the fact that I have everything backed up, I am going to just be reformating the hard drive and reinstalling everything from scratch. (I just have to wait for DSL, so that I am not spending a lifetime doing downloads and upgrades after the re-format with crappy dial-up.)

Sometimes my system hangs on shutdown, and my system tray clock freezes upon activation. All of this happend with that spyware, so the best thing for me to do is to wipe the slate clean and start over. I have everything backed up to CD Rom and the WINDOWS 98 CD, OFFICE 97 CD, Bookmarks, QUICKEN CD. (I really don't have tons of stuff on my system.) But, I am not going through all this with dial-up! LOL!

You know....after 6 years of use, it's probably best to do this. Wouldn't you agree?

Jack

7. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Oh I agree with you! I checked the Msconfig, and that is where I initally found the two Spyware programs, and there is also some auto update utility in there. But, as I posted, I am going to get DSL, reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything.

Jack

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice