1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet dies all the time [VISTA]

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blade55555, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blade55555

blade55555 Thread Starter

So lately this week my internet has been dying sometimes every couple hours, sometimes every few minutes and its getting really annoying. As a person who uses the internet a ton I don't mind if its every once in awhile but when it happens so frequently its very annoying. My provider is Cable, I believe its either a 3mb or 5mb connection (400kb download, .25mb upload).

I hope someone has some ideas thanks in advance!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    - Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)
    - Make and Exact model of Router, Modem or router/modem combination
    - Make and Exact model of all PCs and Laptops
    - How are the PCs / Laptops connected - full details - cable, wireless
    - What windows version or other OS are running on each laptop Xp, Vista, 7, ubuntu etc
    - Are there any other machines working, at all , is this just one PC losing connection or all devices connected - if so please provide details
    - If using wireless, do you have Encryption - if so, Remove any wireless encryption from the router, and try to connect - post back results, are you still losing connection
    - If this is happening with a wireless connection would you connect to the router with a cable and see if still disconnects

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {ipconfig /all}
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here, when everything is working OK - and then repeat the tests when the connection disconnects

-> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    Same for thesse tests - when its connected all OK and repeat them all when it disconnects
    {Ping Tests}

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping google.com
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.191.93.53
    post back results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    If you are using a wireless connection then
    Download and install

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Then run the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. blade55555

Don't have too much time as of this post to do all you asked but here is that screenshot of the program. It should answer the questions of what model I believe? Anyway here is the screenshot.

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    all the answers would help us diagnose the issue

5. blade55555

Oh woops sorry forgot about this thread since my internet has stopped dying for some reason so much about only once a day I found out though that it is my router causing all this so yeah thanks for replying guys greatly appreciated.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice