1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet dies randomly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Biscuity, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuity

Biscuity Thread Starter

Hello. I am in need of advice once again. I'm staying at my uncles house who uses Keyon internet service so its like broadband with some sort of dish? Anyways...

The speeds were pretty random and slow. Spikes of 3000 pings and averages of 600. Updated the firmware (7 years old) and average is under a hundred now. However the internet still just completely dies for random amounts of time... 2 seconds to a few minutes. Pings timeout to google or yahoo but not my router.

As far as the setup goes, there is a dish or antennae they have aimed a little dish on the roof towards a few miles away. The "modem" is in a plastic box attached to it. The cable runs into literally the cheapest "splitter adapter" ive ever seen, which wont work if you hook up the modem line into "data out" and the router line into "data in", which confuses me in the first place. Shouldn't that be the other way around?

Anyways, I tried wifi and wired connection. I didn't try to bypass the router completely but I don't think it will make a difference. I decided to get a ladder and look at the "modem" and I was a little shocked to say the least. I opened up the big plastic thing that stores it and it literally is just a piece of like motherboard mounted with one little screw, covered in ladybugs and cobwebs. So I sighed and just left it alone.

So now, average ping is very tolerable. 50-100. Speed is at about 2mbps which is fine. I just don't know whether to worry about the splitter thing or the modem, or whatever is past it. I couldn't even pull up the model number for the splitter adapter but I know its a super cheap hong kong brand. I honestly don't even know what its for.. converting the cable types? They seem to be identical cat 5 cables.

So besides a dirty modem board, are there any other settings or tests I can run to confirm that the internet company is responsible for the dropping? They are notoriously cheap and try to charge for just coming out in the past.

Heres a pic of the router board. Please tell me i'm not the only one who finds this to be unacceptable.

[​IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1043752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice