Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

INTERNET DISCONNECT!!! (Please Read!!)

968 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dugq 
#1 ·
Hey guys when i want to download something big like a movie id like to keep it running all night but i can not do so when my internet auto disconnectes after awhile.. i do not meen while just being idle.. it disconnects after a time of being online an have to sign back online.
Note that i use peoplepc internet an have a Lucent Win Modem.
I do not have idle disconnect enabled or disconnect when internet not needed but it does it anyway.
It set to auto detect setting but when i manuel do it. it doesnt matter because it still disconnects.
Id like internet to keep running all day with out "pinging out" i think its called.
Like the time your online is the "pingtime" or something?
But anyways is there any way i can change setting so it never disconnects or get a program that will stop it from disconnecting after a period of time?
ALSO NOTE that i use Windows ME.
I see alot of threads on here with ppl who need help an no one replys an i hope that doesnt happen to my thread........
ANYTHING that comes to mind would help. :(

#4 ·
Calm down, calm down. If your not getting any help just put post bump and it will go to the top of the list.

Anyway, first thing to do is check with your ISP and find out if they have a disconnection time, many ISPs will automatically disconnect you if you are connected for over 2 hrs, even if you aren't idle, in which case a downloadmanager and autoreconnect may help

If there is no disconnect time, first thing to check are your system resources
Go to control panel, system, performance and report back with the system resources

Also, upgrade you modem drivers to the latest version, available here

http://www.agere.com/entnet/modem_driver2.html

You can also try some init strings, in control panel, go to modems, properties connections and advanced and enter one of the strings you see here in the extra settings box

http://www.modemhelp.net/l/lucenttechnologies.shtml

experiment, some may work better than others

In the same box you could try switching the flow control to softwareXON/XOFF, and if you click ok, then click port settings, try either lowering the receive buffer and transmit buffer or uncheck use fifo buffers altogether.

Click ok and click general and lower the maximum speed

There is no right answer, you will need to experiment, but like I said first thing to do is check with your ISP and then report back with your system resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.