1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet disconnecting

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Trentham, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trentham

Trentham Thread Starter

This is actually two problems, each different but with the same result... they machine gets disconnected from the internet.

Problem 1...

is a Windows 98 machine which uses Virgin as the ISP and connects via an internal 56k modem, although it has been tested with another modem with similar results. It connects OK and all seems well but then it will suddenly drop the line. No messages, no nothing. It may stay up for half an hour or it may die after only a couple of minutes.

It's the only device on the phone line and BT have checked the line and increased its gain. The cables have all been replaced and there is no *obvious* line interference.

Of the two problems this is by far the most annoying so any ideas would.be welcomed.

Problem 2...

is with a machine (running XP home) connecting to BT's ASDL service. It operates as an internet connection server using AnalogX's Proxyi. Occasionally the connection will be dropped. This is more an annoyance than a problem since it's no big deal to reconnect but it would be even better if it didn't happen!

The machine is running a firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) and I noticed that BT keeps pinging the machine and so, thinking that not getting a response might be causing them to close the connection, the firewall has been set to respond to the ICMP messages. Still the connection gets closed.

Any ideas on this one?

2. Miz

Miz

For Problem 1: Is there any relationship between the disconnect and checking for email? If so, poke around in the email software for a setting referring to "disconnect after sending and receiving mail."

3. skyman

skyman

Try this:

CONTROL PANEL/MODEMS/CONNECTIONS/EXTRA SETTINGS/DELETE WHAT IS THERE AND ENTER: s10=60(no spaces

4. Trentham

Trentham Thread Starter

No connection with email at all.
    I'll try the settings tweak and see how it goes.

5. Trentham

Trentham Thread Starter

Oops, when I say no connection I mean there is no relation with email, NOT that email doesn't connect!

6. Katink

Katink

Hello Trentham,
    I used to have the same problem with an ISDN-connection to the internet. No-one has been able to tell me the cause of this, or how to solve the cause whatever it is.

I have found a good-working way around the problem though. I found and downloaded StayLive (it's a free program). Let this program connect to a clock once a minute; your connection will then be used so often that it won't be disconnected anymore (that is: if the same works for you as it did for me).
    Please tell me if this also works for you.

7. Trentham

Trentham Thread Starter

Thanks for that Katink, I'll give it a try and see if it works.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice