1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet disconnects at midday

Discussion in 'Networking' started by amb, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amb

amb Thread Starter

I use HughesNet with a HN7000S modem and over the past few weeks, my internet disconnects at midday (12pm, 1pm), stays out for hours, and usually returns by 4pm or 5pm. This only happens every few days and usually when it is hot outside (ex. right now it's 80+ degrees outside, yesterday was the same).

The only lights on the modem that are on are the LAN and power lights. Transmit, receive, and system are off. I can access our modem's IP address and it is saying that our satellite signal strength is only 29, a minimum of 31 is needed for the internet to function correctly.

I have tried turning the modem and router on and off, hard resets, restarting all of our computers, reinstalling my wireless adapter, etc. and nothing is working. I am wondering if something could be wrong with the positioning of our satellite or if something is blocking our signal for several hours a day, but I don't understand why it is happening only when it is hot outside. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of what might be causing this?

I have Windows 7 and use Firefox if it matters- but this is also happening on Vista and XP.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That would seem to be all you need to know to not worry about the router or computers. Maybe the heat changes the orientation of your receiver enough to make a difference, but I suggest calling your satellite company about this issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice