1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet disconnects reconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jackflaps, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jackflaps

Jackflaps Thread Starter

So I have an Actiontec C1000A modem from centurylink, it is a modem and a router at the same time. We had the internet installed about 3-4 months ago. I have DSL internet with speeds up to 10 mbps. We usually have about 3-4 connections to the router with laptops and phones and ipads. My connection is the only one who that plays games though. Lately in the past month the router will lose connection to the internet for about a minute then reconnects. It's really aggravating when trying to play games then have to start over what i was doing because I got disconnected from my game, I have lost countless hours of game play. Does anyone know what this issue may be? Could it be the too many connections? I have tried turning them off but every now and then it still may do it. The disconnects are pretty random it could be 3 times an hour or once in 3 hours.

2. Jackflaps

Jackflaps Thread Starter

3. Jackflaps

Jackflaps Thread Starter

4. Jackflaps

Jackflaps Thread Starter

5. pauseleplague

pauseleplague

May I ask do you loose your DSL light or Internet light when this happens?

Are you connecting wirelessly or with a Ethernet Cable?

6. Jackflaps

Jackflaps Thread Starter

The internet light is the one that I loose and I run wireless, all of our devices do.

7. pauseleplague

pauseleplague

Are you running microsoft windows or mac?

8. Jackflaps

Jackflaps Thread Starter

Windows 7 64 bit, the problem is my router though so I don't see why my laptop would be the issue

9. pauseleplague

pauseleplague

I never accused your laptop of being the issue. :)

Click on start

In the bottom of the start menu, type CMD and push enter

In the command prompt, type ipconfig

Look for Default gateway under your ethernet adapter (sometime referred as LAN or local area network), write down the IP.

Enter IP into the address bar in your browser.

This should take your modem's settings. look for something like "Transceiver statistics", this will show you your statistics for your internet connection.

Answer the following:

1. How much Mbps are you paying for?

2. How many Mbps/Kbps does your transceiver show?

3. What is the margin?

4. What is the Attenuation?

5. Does it show CRC errors? If so, post them please, as these may be the reason your internet light keeps going completely out.

6. Does the DSL light begin the flash also when the internet light goes out?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice