1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Disconnects When Overloaded?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Xmayne, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xmayne

Xmayne Thread Starter

I have a very odd problem with my internet. My internet seems to disconnect randomly at times or when I am doing too much at once. When it disconnects it says it can't find any networks and it shows this icon:
    [​IMG]

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. This just suddenly started happening back in June and it never did it before then. To get my internet back online again, I have to either restart my computer, or put it on sleep and awaken it. This seems to be connected with another problem I have when watching online videos from YouTube or another site where it will stutter my whole computer for about 2 seconds while watching them (but if the videos are fully loaded, they don't seem to stutter anymore).

So, after a few weeks, it really started to bother me, so I decided to just reformat my computer and get a fresh install. I was sure that would fix the problem, but I was wrong and the same thing still happens. My computer is hardwired into the router and I have Verizon FIOS. The other computers in my house that are also hardwired into the same router do not have this problem at all.

Another weird thing is, if I am voice chatting with someone and I am watching a YouTube video at the same time, and that YouTube video stutters, that is an instant disconnection from the Internet. And last night it disconnected when I had a few tabs open and was loading a YouTube video and downloading something at the same time. So, I assume that it just overloads or something and just disconnects.

I guess it has to be a hardware problem since I reformatted, so could it be my motherboard or my actual Ethernet cable? I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated though.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I'd change the cable and the port on the router you connect to first. If that doesn't do it, you may want to consider a replacement NIC for that machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/948993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice