1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet disconnects

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by JollyJeff, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JollyJeff

JollyJeff Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jeff
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6013 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 914 GB (815 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gateway, IPIMB-AR
    Antivirus: Spybot - Search and Destroy, Disabled

I am having an issue with frequent media disconnects. Upon booting my system, browsers do not connect to the internet. A restart fixes the problem for a while and the system eventually disconnects again. I have hardwired cable and supplier provided cable modem. The system says I am connected but browsers don't function until a soft restart. My PC is for personal use and is owned by me. I have recently added Spybot AV and previously used Windows Defender. McAfee in the distant past. None of them show much and if they do and the item is fixed, I still experience the same media disconnects.

2. valis

valis Moderator

Moving to the web forum as we don't know this is virus related yet.

3. JollyJeff

JollyJeff Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jeff
    A program being advertised on this site, Reimage, indicates that I have some issues with system stability and virus inferction.
    It offered this short list of issues. I'd like a second opinion as Reimage would like to start charging me for further activity.

upload_2018-2-10_14-40-26.jpeg upload_2018-2-10_14-40-26.jpeg

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  5. JollyJeff

JollyJeff Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks. I hadn't looked at the reviews. I have deleted the software and won't be spending money with Reimage. I see a fair number of folks have looked at my original post about frequent system disconnects. Yet no comments have been made relevant to that issue. I will hang in there. Would love to hear what people who are more skilled than I would suggest.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You might want to change your title from media disconnects to internet disconnects.

When I see "media" I think of problems with CDs, DVDs, or online videos.

7. JollyJeff

JollyJeff Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for the advice. I used the word Media because when I ran IPCONFIG on my command prompt, I got the following message.

I really don't know what to call it. When attempting to use renew or release commands, it tells me I can't to that when I am disconnected from the media. I appreciate your suggestions. I will try and rename the post

upload_2018-2-12_19-15-36.png

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall Spybot Search and Destroy.

Uninstall McAfee and run the McAfee Removal Tool. Restart the system and run the Removal tool again. Restart.

Any improvement?

9. JollyJeff

JollyJeff Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for the suggestion. Biggest issue has been that the computer requires a restart immediately after it a cold or hard start 90% of the time.

I performed the suggested tasks and what I saw was one cold start needed a restart, second cold start it worked normally.

Same issue requiring restart if it ever goes to sleep. Same issue randomly when using, suddenly disconnects and requires a restart. Could be 5 minutes or 3 hours.

I will keep track over next period of time and let you know. I do see an improvement in time it takes to boot and shutdown.

Thanks again. Everyone has been helpful. Not sure how to rename my post as plodr suggested.

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    A couple of suggestions -- You could see if there s an updated driver for your NIC. You can also disable the option to let the PC manage the power to the NIC. That last could help when the PC goes to sleep. It could shut off the power to the NIC and not reestablish the power. I've seen issues with that in the past.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I edited the thread title for you.

Make sure, as Gr3iz posted, that you have the latest ethernet driver.

12. JollyJeff

JollyJeff Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for editing the post title. I did update to the latest NIC driver, so thanks for that advice, too. Still having the issue with internet disconnects from a hard start. Has also disconnected once this morning during routine use. The computer seems a bit faster with the AV software uninstalls. I will step away for a while and do some household chores and see how it works when I come back.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure that Windows Defender has started running (since you uninstalled the other stuff).

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "hard start"? After a normal Shut down? After a forced shut down (by holding the power button or pulling the plug)?

15. JollyJeff

JollyJeff Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jeff
    Hi Terry,

I did restart Windows Defender when I uninstalled the Spybot and ran the McAfee Removal Tool. I mean a normal start when I say hard Start. I say that just to differentiate from a soft or Restart. I do occasionally need to force a shutdown by holding the button down but rarely, once a month maybe. The PC is running right now from a normal start after being shut down for an hour. Keeping fingers crossed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice