1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Disconnects

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Smoky53, Feb 18, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smoky53

Smoky53 Thread Starter

I have a problem of being disconnected from the Internet. It usually occurs about the same time at night. I connect, then get kicked off after about a minute. This happens repeatedly. This continues for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour before I can stay connected again. I use IE browser. This does not happen during idle times. It happens when I am actively surfing. Any ideas on how to solve this? My ISP is no help.

2. Sponsor

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Do you have call waiting. If so, are you disabling it when you dial your ISP?

Also, right after the disconnect, check the modem log file. See if there are any clues to the reason for the disconnect. MyComputer>DialupNetworking. Right click on the DUN for your ISP and select Properties. Click on Configure>Connection>Advanced>View Log.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 02-18-2000).]

4. Smoky53

Smoky53 Thread Starter

I do not have call waiting, so that is not the problem. I was just a few minutes ago disconnected again and followed your suggestion of checking the log. It stated "Remote modem hung up...Interpreted response: No carrier. Hanging up the modem".
    What does this mean exactly and what is the solution? Thanks.

5. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

There is a posibility that your phone line is noisy and causing the ISP modem is disconnecting you. You can have the phone company check the lines noise.

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Noise could definitely be causing it. If the phone company tests the line and it tests clean then I would call your ISP and tell them your modem log indicates that their modem is disconnecting you. Of course they will try to tell you that it is your fault but I suggest that you ask to talk to Level 2 tech support. It could still be something on your end causing it but see what they have to say. Make sure you ask for the next level of support.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 02-18-2000).]

7. blakin

blakin

A major source of line noise is in the phone cords (and specifically the small plugs at each end of the cords). The gold contact bars become dirty and worn from use. Especially around computers, faxes, etc..

If you suspect phone or modem line noise, check out your system by lifting the phone receiver, punch in any number to clear the dial tone, and listen for about a minute. If you hear frying or cracking in the phone, replace both connector cords with known new or good ones and repeat the test.

If still there, take that phone set to the entrance box, unplug the house inlet line and plug in your test telephone direct at that entrance box connection. If the noise continues during a repeat test there, the noise is on the Phone companies system. If it's quiet there, the problem is in your house system.

Check out connectors and phone cords on all other equipment in the house. Like Computer phone lines and connectors, Fax lines etc..

Repeat the listening test each time you replace a cord. When it goes quiet, you have found the culprit. Replace that cord and you should have the noise problem solved.

If your disconnect is due to line noise, this should find it, or at least locate the source as in "your system" or the "phone company's" system.

Bryan

8. Smoky53

Smoky53 Thread Starter

I am still being kicked off the Net. I followed your suggestions above regarding the phone service, and all tested clear.
    Help! What now? Any more suggestions? My server says it is not their equipment. My equipment is only 5 months old.

9. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I would try another ISP and see if you have the same problems.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/30410