1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Disconnects

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Delta Dart, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Delta Dart

Delta Dart Thread Starter

Hi All
    I have been having internet disconnects every since I have had VISTA. It is the same that used to occur in WIN ME & 98. It happens when you spend a long time surfing on one web site. There was a fix for this problem then and I have forgotten it. It is not my server as I have another computer with WIN 98SE and it does not happen. I have to cycle my DSL modem off & on to reconnect. I am connected through a router to a second computer and to the modem and the second computer stays connected. The internet icon (lower right display) will indicate local only is connected.
    Any help would be great. Forum(y) (y) (y) (y)

Russ

Dell E-520
    160g HD
    1g mem
    WIN VISTA

2. roden23

roden23

If you're using a laptop or server, the network card may be configured to go into power saving mode releasing the IP address after a set amount of time of non-activity.

Which version of Windows Vista are you using? Vista is known to have plenty of networking issues on it's own so it may be worth searching Microsoft's KB (Knowledge Base) at www.microsoft.com if you're familiar with it.

Also your computer system mentions a Dell E-520 which appears to be a standard desktop PC, would you be able to confirm this?

Finally, if you could post the results of an "ipconfig /all" while the network is connected and then when it becomes unavailable, this would help troubleshoot the problem.

Regards,
    Roden

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/620649