1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Download Accelerators

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Andrewpaulne, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Andrewpaulne

Andrewpaulne Thread Starter

Are there any download accelerators out there worth buying?

I've heard of Turbo Surfer and Web Rocket so far....any experience or suggestions on the subject?

Thanks.

2. RandyG

RandyG

No, there aren't any worth buying.

there are some free ones that aid in downloading, ire giving you the option to pause and resume, but nothing REALLY aids in download speed.

i use a handy, spyware and adware free utility from Fresh Devices called FreshDownload

3. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi Andrewpaulne

A Download manager can come in handy at times

What it does is split a file into say 4 parts - create 4 connections and download them similtaneously

Instead of 1 file downloading at 4k

you have 4 files downloading at 4k and the download takes a quarter of the time - this is what they tell you

what often happens though is that the single 4k connection will often drop to 4 @ 1k when using multiple connections

But they do have some usefull features - like RandyG says

I use flashget

steam

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I use download expert.

free and no spyware.

http://download.com.com/3000-2071-10034260.html?legacy=cnet

I disable all browser integration (cuz I'm picky like that)

what i like about it is you can right click on a link and instead of saving target as, you can save it using download expert.

You can also right click on a webpage and click "Download all" and then you can select from all the files linked on the web page.

the best one I have used so far.

5. Andrewpaulne

Andrewpaulne Thread Starter

Hey all - thanks for the responses.

I already use 2 called Getright and Download Accelerator for download management.

I was speaking specifically about Download Accelerators or so called Internet speed enhancers....

Thanks anyay.

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Ok. I see what you mean

I don't think any of them are worth buying or even using.

Those programs just tweak your connections settings, which you can do yourself. You can find info at www.regedit.com

The other thing they do is manage your cache better so it loads faster. But once you tweak your connection device and settings, no program is really going to help.

I myself don't think there are any worth buying. IMHO

7. abmay

abmay

Hi,recently I updated D.A.P (download accelerator program) but was not so happy about it so decided to delete it,it will not go,tried all the usual ways but it is still in there.
    I heard of a program called "tweek" or "tweak" that will definitely move it,I really only want the program for this one job,can anyone definitely reccomend this (free) program or is there a better one I use XPpro Thank you Bob Kelly

8. ferrija1

ferrija1

Randy G is right there are really no download accelerators that speed up downloading a lot though they do help. What they do is they break the file up into little bits and download them. One great download accelerator i found is http://www.speedbit.com/ there is a free version and a payware version there

There are also download managers like http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ that manage downloads by letting you pause, resume, and stop downloads. You can also set times for ceratin downloads and make your computer shut down, run a program, logout, ect. when a download starts or finishes.

9. abmay

abmay

thank you,"speedbit" is D.A.P the one I'm having the probs with.

10. thecoalman

thecoalman

You can't speed up downloads. It's limited to your line connection speed or the server speed if your connection speed exceeds it.

The only thing that really works is the "speed" enhancers that ISP's like AOL use. They don't really speed anything up but alter the images which require the most bandwidth for most pages and send you a different copy than the author intended. Most images on the web are already compressed so what you get is a very bad looking image.... of course they never tell you this. If you went to site that was text only it would be no faster.

11. godpuppet

godpuppet

When I went into my local Game I noticed some kind of "internet speed accelerator" on the shelf. I wonder if thats what you mean. If so, ill explain what it is:

You sign up to a service where your connection is sent through their servers. When you make large downloads. The service reduces the file sizes of the files (complicated dont remember how exactly) and sends them to you at a superfast speed.

They say it can decrease download times durastically. But its a yearly subscription.

12. thecoalman

thecoalman

It's not complicated at all. They compress the images more. They can compress the text used for the code but the i9mages are the one single thing that will actually give them a significant return where the cusdtomer will see a difference. AOL has been offering this for years now as has some other ISP's. Trouble is that you get bad looking images. I as a webmaster have already compressed them as much as I see fit trying to maintain a good looking image at the smallest filesize possible. Personally I think it borders on copyright infringement. Here's one that was done by AOL, it's maginified about 2X . The top one is the original.

[​IMG]

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice