1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet drop out despite normal speed tests

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jeutter36, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeutter36

Jeutter36 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    I'm NOT tech savvy, so please bear with me. We live in the boonies, and the best internet we can get is point to point radio frequency. I can't get answers from them, so I'm hoping y'all can help out. Our internet frequently drops out, although it remains fully connected. I can run a normal speedtest, but cannot connect across a single device. In checking CPU and memory usage, there does not appear to be anything running in the background. What's going on?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What results for the "normal speedtest"?

What do you mean by "it remains fully connected" along with "cannot connect across a single device"?

What devices are you using? How do they connect to your LAN?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How are running a speedtest while you cannot connect? Like a phone app or do you mean before it drops out?

What router are you using? Does rebooting the router fix it or do you need to reboot your wireless radio?

4. Jeutter36

Jeutter36 Thread Starter

I run the speed test during the dropout, and I am capable of doing so without bypassing the router. Rebooting doesn't fix the problem, nor does shutting down some of the CPU processes. We had the internet company out here last week, and the receiver was working just fine. I'm running a Netgear R6300 wireless router. Last night's speed test during total dropout showed 30% packet loss, but I have no idea where the congestion is originating. Admittedly, my poor router has to push the signal through 5000 square feet of Texas limestone. But if it was the router or the signal, wouldn't my download speeds dropout too? Last night's speed test also showed the highest broadband strength I've ever seen @ 9 Mbps and almost no ping.

5. Jeutter36

Jeutter36 Thread Starter

Meaning I have full signal strength and normal rate of download, but cannot connect to internet through laptop, phone, or Xbox. All wireless. Low memory usage @ 26%, CPU 35%. Almost all memory and CPU consumption is attributed to "servicehost local system:18". ISP tells me that it's a background process that's stealing all my bandwidth, but I can't seem to find it and can't figure out why my download, latency, and upload speeds were totally normal. Only issue was the packet loss.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    OK, I'm still confused how you run the test if nothing else is working and what speed test is it?

Is your R6300 version 1 or 2? It should say on the sticker on the router.

Can you log into your router when the issue is occurring?

Can you ping websites by name or only by IP or neither when this is happening?

When it happens if you turn off all devices except one can that device get back online? I would try this with a tablet or phone and not a PC or gaming console.

7. Jeutter36

Jeutter36 Thread Starter

You're just as confused as I am. I can't figure out how I'm able to connect wirelessly to run a speedtest, and said speedtest is normal, but I cannot load a single website.
    The website is http://speedtest.solidphone.us/
    My router is version 2
    I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if I can log into my router (again, I'm REALLY lost with most of this stuff). If you mean, can I connect wirelessly, then yes. I was able to run that speedtest wirelessly.
    Also, I don't know what you mean about pinging websites by name or IP.
    I can try turning off all but one device next time this happens to see if it helps.
    I ran another speedtest just now to compare, and although my ping is a little higher and download speeds lower, this is typical for my area due to congestion.
    I thought about the issue possibly being that my ISP recommends using Chrome instead of Firefox, but I wasn't able to pull up websites in Chrome through my phone either.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You might want to update the firmware on your router and see if that helps at all.

Here's the support site for your router including the latest firmware and documentation for the router: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6300v2?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#Firmware Version 1.0.4.8

If you go to a command prompt and type IPCONFIG and press enter you'll get some info, one of those will be the Gateway, that's the IP address of the router. You can type that IP address into a browser and it will log you into the router interface. You can see what devices are connected and do the firmware upgrade from there.

Is your wireless password protected? Do you have any neighbors close by?

Another thing you can do is maybe switch the DNS in the router from the ISP one or whatever it is now to something like Google DNS's which is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and see if that helps. I have to sing off for the night but maybe Terry can give you directions for that.

9. Jeutter36

Jeutter36 Thread Starter

Can I ask... and again, please forgive my ignorance..... My computer shows full signal, and my download rates are normal. Can my connectivity still be affected even though everything "looks normal". In other words, is it possible that the issue is that the router cannot push the signal far enough to reach my computer, and that I should invest in a wireless extender? If it were a router signal issue, would that now show in the signal strength or the speedtest results?

10. Jeutter36

Jeutter36 Thread Starter

Ok, this advice is really helpful! I will definitely work on updating the firmware
    My wireless is password protected
    Thanks for the help Triple6, you have helped me learn a lot about this issue.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In a Command Prompt (assuming a computer running Windows) try

ping 8.8.4.4

ping yahoo.com

If the first one is successful it shows you have internet access. If the second is successful it shows that also DNS is working. Try them when things are good so that you know what to look for when the problem crops up.

Since you can access the speedtest site you obviously do not lose connection to your router nor to the internet. We still need to figure out what's going wrong; let's see how Rob's advice works out.

12. Jeutter36

Jeutter36 Thread Starter

Very good advice. I'll try that and see what happens. I'll report back tomorrow. Crossing my fingers!

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you have strong wireless signal to your computer, 3 or more bars then it's not likely a signal strength issue from the router, it's also unlikely if you have multiple devices that suddenly stop working.

14. Jeutter36

Jeutter36 Thread Starter

Triple6, that's what I feared. Does this mean the problem originates from either side of the router, i.e. background processes on my PC hogging bandwidth or congestion from ISP? In my mind, I'm thinking high packet loss means too many users trying to access the same point at the same time, but I can't figure out why my download rates would still be good.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It could be something on a computer, I know some people pretty much loose internet when Windows 10 tries to download updates on slow internet connections, or it could be something like Torrents being downloaded or uploaded. It could also be a DNS issue where devices can't resolve website names to IP addresses, that could be a router or ISP hardware issue. Or it could be a faulty router or wireless radio having an intermittent fault. When the issue occurs I would immediately shut down everything except one phone or tablet and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't after a few minutes then reboot the router and try with that one device again. If its still a problem reboot the wireless radio and try again. And if its still not working connect the wireless radio directly in a computer bypassing the router, but that may require re-configuring or setting up a PPPoE connection on the computer with your ISP username & password. If you log into your router and check the WAN type that'll tell you how it's configured; if it says somethign like Dynamic/DHCP then you shouldn't need to configure anything on your computer, if it says PPPoE then you will need to setup a PPPoE connection on the computer using those same settings.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice