1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet drop outs and boot failures

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Tommyemmanuelfan, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tommyemmanuelfan

Tommyemmanuelfan Thread Starter

Hi, I've been messing about on a family members laptop thats had all sorts of demons recently , including empty device manager etc.
    So instead of tackling them one by one i formatted the drive and reinstalled windows 7 but theres still a couple remain.

1. Every now and then the internet will drop out and even though it can find wireless connections it wont reconnect unless the laptop is restarted or if i uninstall and reinstall the network adapter driver. Prior the reformat the internet would drop out and fail to find wireless connections so i replaced the wireless card to see if it made a difference. So far it seems like if i uninstall and reinstall the driver and dont shut the laptop down it'll be problem free.

2. Occasionally when booting the laptop it will completely freeze on the initial acer screen. Sometimes i can press F2 and change the boot order around and it has been a temporary fix. Every now and then it'll bring up a windows repair screen which i've tried running and it also freezes.

Even though the laptop is pretty much fine now, if it's never shut down, I would like some info on what the problem may be.
    Any help appreciated. Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    1) Whats the make and model of the PC - are you using the latest driver form the PC manufacturers website ?
    2) Try running chkdsk and see if the HDD is failing

3. Tommyemmanuelfan

Hi, thanks for the reply.

its an acer aspire 5750, I installed a load of drivers from the acer website after the fresh windows install. I got the network adapter driver from the qualcomm atheros website because i bought a new card.

I did run a disk check a while ago but the results don't mean a lot to me.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Wininit" Guid="{206f6dea-d3c5-4d10-bc72-989f03c8b84b}" EventSourceName="Wininit" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="16384">1001</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-12-09T15:22:51.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2235</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>paul-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is Acer. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)... 459776 file records processed. File verification completed. 319 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 50 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)... 507104 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)... 459776 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 2627 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 2627 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 2627 unused security descriptors. CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream 23665 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 35029744 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)... 459760 files processed. File data verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)... 83267662 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. 472553471 KB total disk space. 138802196 KB in 152730 files. 105392 KB in 23668 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 575235 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 333070648 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 118138367 total allocation units on disk. 83267662 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 04 07 00 18 b1 02 00 9c 40 05 00 00 00 00 00 [email protected] c0 00 00 00 32 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....2........... 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................ Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. Tommyemmanuelfan

I tried an SFC scan and all was good. I also did another chkdsk and all seemed good this time.
    It's been ok recently and then yesterday I realised the sd controller wasnt in device manager and the port wasnt functioning.
    So i did a bit of googling and discovered the BIOS werent up to date, so I downloaded the latest from the acer website and updated. After the first boot all was good, the sd card controller reappeared and was functioning properly.
    I booted today and it wasnt happy again, SD controller had disappeared again, the internet was dropping every 5 minutes etc.
    I tried to run it in safe mode and it froze so I powered it off and it took several goes before it would boot windows without freezing.
    At the moment its got code 12 the device cannot find enough free resources for the sd controller in device manager.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice