1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet dropout win8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Kailight, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kailight

Kailight Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have recently built up a new pc and installed windows 8.

Everything is working perfectly apart from when I attempt to download (legally, new games on steam, movies on itunes, nvidia drivers for my gpu etc etc) The connection is fine for about 30 seconds and then the lights on my keyboard and mouse flash and the internet drops from my wireless netgear usb adapter. Also the keyboard/mouse lights flashing do not happen all the time, i would probably say 1/3 of the time.

It will also occasionally drop when playing an online game, eg DotA 2 etc.

I have attached my DxDiag info, could someone please tell me if there is a way to fix this issues. I have attempted to download the chipset from asus however, as you wouild expect, my internet drops mid download..

Ive had it up and running since sunday and I had successfully downloaded all my steam games, guild wars 2 etc etc without any issues, it has only started happening within the last 24/48 hours.

Kind regards.

Attached Files:

2. solemnknight

solemnknight

Have you tried connecting to your network via a cable to see if you get the same problem?
    Maybe one of your USB ports is faulty, try getting hold of a usb hub, plug all of your USB devices into it and then plug into your PC, see if you get the same issue, if you do, try another USB port.
    It could also be caused by a faulty piece of kit connected via usb, try swapping these out till you find the item causing the issue.
    Also, look for updated drivers for your USB wireless adapter, I've had a few laptops that had wireless issues after upgrading them to Win8 and I ended up having to buy a couple of those tiny usb wireless adapters( they only stick out about 5mm) and they worked perfectly.
    Other then that, it could be a faulty mobo.

3. Kailight

Kailight Thread Starter

Ive tried plugging the wireless adapter into about 4 of the usb ports and get the same problem. Unfortunately the router is to far away to plug in directly with a cable.

Would a network card rather than the usb adapter be worth a try or??

Ive also tried to get the chipset from asus again and saw it had a p2p option so im going to install a torrent downloader and try that, might take me a few goes but at least that will keep the data ive already downloaded rather than lose everything once the net drops.

4. solemnknight

solemnknight

The fact you get lights flashing on your mouse and keyboard at the time of the drop means you should really check all usb items connected to your pc, not just the wireless adapter.
    A wireless network card (I assume you mean a PCI one?) would certainly be worth a go and in my experience works better then the usb adapters anyway but like I said earlier, it may not be the wireless usb adapter that is causing the problem. If it was just a drop in connection, then yes it would be the adapter but the fact you get lights flashing on other usb items could mean something else. I suggest checking all your usb peripherals before moving on. Also physically look at each port and ensure there isn't any damage, if any of the connections are touching you can get intermittent problems.

5. solemnknight

solemnknight

It might be worth temporarily moving your pc to where you can connect it to your network through a cable, just to see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then it is definitely your usb wireless adapter, if it does, then it is another usb peripheral.

6. Kailight

Kailight Thread Starter

excellent, i will give it a go then and see. The flashing lights happened twice and now its just the internet dropping.

I'll move the pc or get a long cable up the stairs to try out the wired connectivity and i'll check each usb port.

And i'll buy a pci network card then if they are generally better.

Is it worth getting an asus one to match my motherboard or will any pci network card work fine?

7. Kailight

Kailight Thread Starter

and thank you for the advice

8. solemnknight

solemnknight

You're welcome.
    A generic pci card will be fine. Bear in mind, I haven't used a pci wireless network card in a while, usb ones have been working fine for me, so it may be a case of procuring another usb wireless adapter, totally up to you. First you need to figure out what the problem is :)
    Let me know how you get on.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!