1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet/DSL drops connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by webweazel, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webweazel

webweazel Thread Starter

Hi all. I usually figure things out on my own, but I am having a bit of trouble with this one. I'm SUSPECTING a network issue. Nutshell: Format & reinstall Win XP SP2, dual-boot Ubuntu 8.10 (different partition). In XP, no ethernet driver to get to the NIC card and access internet on install. Found driver for NIC. Installed. Internet works for a minute or so, then slows to nothing. Close browser, re-open, SOMETIMES will work again, mostly does not. I use IE, Maxthon, Avant, all fresh downloads. All are IE "wrappers". Happens on all of them. Installed Firefox for testing. Newest browser. Internet works good for a while, then PERIODIC slowing to nothing on Firefox. Here we go again.

Here's why I suspect network: I was having this trouble after a fresh install of XP and JUST installing the NIC driver. No firewall, no antivirus, no other programs installed. It caused me to do a fresh reformat & reinstall, just in case, this time with a different NIC driver. Same problem. I'm just rolling with it now. Before the format & reinstall, the internet had ZERO issues. Same computer, same everything. Which is why this is so frustrating.

Here's the other booger: if I use Ubuntu, I can roll on Firefox and the internet all night long without the slightest hiccup.

So, this is telling me that the HARDWARE is okay, but I suspect there is a software or setting problem somewhere along the way.

I don't know what will be pertinent info for this one so, and I am a total gourd-brain when it comes to networking. I installed Wireshark to see if I could find something, but I really do not know what to look for. (Nor how to decipher what I'm looking at! haha) but let me start with this:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jen-75372868d3e
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-A4-BE-CF
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 10, 2010 8:26:56 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:26:56 PM

I remember something in an error message about DHCP losing a LEASE to an IP address? Does this jibe somehow?

Also, I'm using AT&T DSL with their supplied router. The computer is plugged directly into the router. I have called their tech support line for testing, and they reported no problems on my line. The speed is fine WHEN it is connected.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I will give more info as needed, just tell me what you want and where to find it. (This is a learning experience for me, too.)

2. advisory

advisory

what kind of router do you have?

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

And make and model of modem.Lease times do not look good.
    A format and re-install with these issues,is generally a driver issue,but,we may have a problem of "dueling routers" here.so let's make sure.
    Also the best and safest way to get the correct driver is to go the pc makers web site and download and install the correct chipset and network adapter driver for your model.Is that where these drivers came from.Was a chipset driver included ?
    also,your ipconfig appears to show a working network connection.
    Just checked my setup with an att dsl modem.That timing is set in both that modem and my standalone router.

4. webweazel

webweazel Thread Starter

The modem is a Motorola. Like stated, received from AT&T. The computer is plugged directly into this, and so is the phone line for the DSL feed. No other network items are attached at this point.

DSL Sync Up Device Name Netopia
    Internet Connection Up Model Number 2210-02
    WAN IP Address 74.243.60.141 Serial Number 45320376
    Downstream Rate 765 (Kbits/Sec) Software Version 7.7.3r10
    Upstream Rate 132 (Kbits/Sec) DHCP Server On
    Warranty Date 8/11/2008 Firewall Security Level Low

Home Network Summary
    IP Address / Name MAC Address Connection Status Connection Type
    192.168.1.5/ jen-75372868d3e 00-12-3f-a4-be-cf Active Ethernet

When I run the "full diagnostics" for the modem, I get this:
    DSL
    Pass
    ATM
    Pass
    Ethernet
    Pass
    PPPoE
    Pass
    Authentication
    Pass
    IP
    Fail

I was worried about the IP FAIL, but then I read somewhere that "ping.fastaccess.net" does not exist anymore, and to ignore that. Yes no?

5. webweazel

webweazel Thread Starter

The driver was a bit of trouble, but I THINK I have the correct one. I had to go to the driver details, find the chipset, (Intel) and find the driver on their site.

PCI\VEN-8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_01AB1028&REV_01\4
    From pcidatabase:
    0x27DCIntel® PRO/100 VE Desktop Adapter0x8086Intel Corporation

There is a real possibility of problems here, though. I did try two "different" drivers, and I seem to recall trying a third, then rolling it back to the second. I can't remember. I've been working on this for a while. Same result with them all.

Perhaps I'm reading something incorrectly and finding the wrong driver(s)?

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK:Here is the way it is on my Motorola 2210 modem
    Log onto the modem 192.168.1.254
    go to connection config
    access code
    on the next page after entering your access code,go to the section titled home network config,
    You will see the lease times there.You may be set for one hour not one day.

7. webweazel

webweazel Thread Starter

Thank you. Yes, I found the setting under the "DHCP server", whatever that is. It was set to 1 hour. I have changed it to 1 day. Let me see if that makes any difference. (I will assume I do not need a restart.)

I opened IE, got one page open from a google search, opened the next, and a blank page just stared at me for 3 minutes. Closed it. Opened another browser, IE wrapper. Nothing. No home page. Closed it, opened it again, got to the home page. Opened a link, again it stares at me.

Last night, Firefox was going along pretty well. Perhaps it is related to the browser instead? Let me try to upgrade the IE browser again, if I can, and see if that helps.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The correct driver is the latest one from your PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site. While you are there, download the latest chipset drivers and install them first.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice