1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Exlorer windows bouncing back and forth

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LAEsquire, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAEsquire

LAEsquire Thread Starter

Hello, everyone, and thank you for any assistance you can provide with this issue. I searched for an answer using Google and the TG search function, but the issue is inherently difficult to search for, as it brings up a lot of off-topic results. If this has been asked and answered, a link to the answer would be appreciated, thanks again.

When working on my computer, I practice a sort of extreme mult-tasking - that is, I usually have numerous Office & PDF programs open and more specifically 3-4 IE browser windows at any given time.

I frequently click to a new page, or action, on one page, then switch back to Word, or to another window in the meantime while that page downloads, even if this only takes a second or two - that's a couple of seconds I could be doing something else.

IE does not seem to cooperate in this regard, however, in that I will often find myself unwillingly dragged back to a browser window, when the page has finished downloading, when there is activity there, PW request, etc. Is there any way to prevent IE from switching windows on me against my will, so that I will only be on the browser window I choose and never be dragged back to an old window, regardless of what is going on there?

I am using IE7; however, the same thing happened with my earlier IE6.

I have cable Internet, but I am also using a old and slow computer - will an upgrade solve this?

If so, given my penchant for mult-tasking, is a dual core processor the way to go?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Welcome, LAEsquire.

I think the word you're looking for is "focus." You click on a certain window to get the focus there. Then some other application or window wants your input or wants you to see a message and it grabs the focus (and you find yourself typing into thin air!).

I know of no way to change this operation. Maybe there is a registry tweak.

Since this is a general Windows feature I suggest that you click on the red triangle and ask a moderator to move this thread to the Windows XP forum, where you are more likely to find an expert who knows about this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice