1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explore killing my system!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dan.Z., Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dan.Z.

Dan.Z. Thread Starter

I have Internet Explorer 6.0, and after browsing a while on the net, the IE gets stuck. It just stops functioning, I can't even close it, so I had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete and closed it.

After closing Internet explore, the whole system stops working, when I try to acess internet explorer again, it just doesn't come up, it's just stuck, and after a few minutes, I can see it says stoped responding in the task manager. and I can't even go into "my computer", or any other program.

All I can do is restart the computer, this happens every time, it's very annoying, I have to restart the computer everytime to get internet explore working again.

2. slipe

slipe

Hi Dan – welcome to the board.

Easy things first. Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Select MSIE and Add/Remove. There will be a choice to repair IE. Run that and see if it helps.

3. Dan.Z.

Dan.Z. Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the help. I did what you said and the IE hasn't crashed yet, I hope it won't crash later.

4. Dan.Z.

Dan.Z. Thread Starter

oh nooooooooo, it crashed again, but at least it waited a while this time:) , so............ any other advises?

5. beach51

beach51

Hi Dan Z,Lets have alook at your startup programs.Go to Start>Run>type in Msinfo32>click ok.Click on the + sign next to software environment>Click on startup programs>click edit>select all>click edit>copy and come back here and paste the page.

6. Dan.Z.

Dan.Z. Thread Starter

Hi, thank you for helping, here's what I got from copying & pasting, and I have a traditional chinese windows 98 operating system, so there are some chinese text in it, sorry.

EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check ±Ò°Ê¸s²Õ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_SRCV03.EXE
    NSCheck µn°O (Per-User Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NSCHECK.EXE /check
    OSSProxy µn°O (Per-User Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OSSPROXY.EXE
    ScanRegistry µn°O (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    SystemTray µn°O (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile µn°O (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Norton Auto-Protect µn°O (Machine Run) D:\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
    Norton CrashGuard Monitor µn°O (Machine Run) "D:\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CRASHGUARD\CGMenu.EXE"
    NPROTECT µn°O (Machine Run) D:\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\nprotect.exe
    CriticalUpdate µn°O (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
    internat.exe µn°O (Machine Run) internat.exe
    WinPoET µn°O (Machine Run) d:\VerizonDSL\WinPoET\WinPPPoverEthernet.exe
    DXM6Patch_981116 µn°O (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\p_981116.exe /Q:A
    LVComs µn°O (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LVComS.exe
    LoadPowerProfile ·Æ¹« Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SymTray - Norton SystemWorks ·Æ¹« C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe "Norton SystemWorks"
    Machine Debug Manager ·Æ¹« C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
    CSINJECT.EXE ·Æ¹« D:\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE
    NPROTECT ·Æ¹« D:\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\nprotect.exe
    AccessRampLAN 01 ·Æ¹« "C:\PROGRAM FILES\VERIZONDSL\IPINSIGHT\ARUpld32.exe" -l
    AccessRampMonitor 01 ·Æ¹« "C:\PROGRAM FILES\VERIZONDSL\IPINSIGHT\ARMon32a.exe"

7. beach51

beach51

Ok Dan,Now go to Start>Run>type in Msconfig click ok.Click on startup tab>These are all the programs you have running everytime you bootup the computer.Remove the check marks next to everything except the following.

Scan Registry
    System Tray
    Load Power profile(2)
    Norton Anti Virus.

Now remove the programs one or two at a time.Click apply,then ok and reboot.Your not deleteing thses program,your just stopping them from running everytime you boot up.You can access these programs from Start>Programs.

Let us know how you make out

8. Dan.Z.

Dan.Z. Thread Starter

Are you sure I should stop ALL of the other ones? because I use DSL and I think there are a few that has something to do with my DSL, would disabling those affect my internet connection? ->I just wanted to make sure.

9. beach51

beach51

Dan,ok leave them checked also.From what i can see there are 3 of them for Verison.You can always go back and put a check mark next to any program that you want to start up.Am thinking that norton crashguard is whats causing the problem,its been known.But go ahead and remove the check marks next to eveything except the ones we said and of course Verison(3).

10. Dan.Z.

Dan.Z. Thread Starter

Ok, done, I just got back online without any problems. And I forgot to mention, the clean disk program that came with windows crashes everytime I run it, and norton system check crashs a lot as will, I'll go try those out now.

11. beach51

beach51

Ok dan,I find the best way to clean the drive of temp files and history files is to do it in Dos.Try this,Go to Start>Shutdown>Re-start in Ms-Dos>At the c:\prompt type.

Smartdrv (hit the enter key)
    Deltree/y Tempor~1 (Enter key)
    deltree/y History (enter key)
    Deltree/y Cookies (enter key)
    deltree/y downlo~1 Enter key

Exit (hit the enter key).

This command will remove all your temp files and folders,windows will recreate new folders when you re-boot.

Make sure you type it just like i did above.Notice the space between y and Tempor~1 and History etc etc.

12. Dan.Z.

Dan.Z. Thread Starter

Hi, I tried to run clean disk, and it worked perfect, thanks for your help, I think that fixed the computer.

13. beach51

beach51

Your Welcome Dan,glad to hear the problem is solved:D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice