1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer 11 hangs whole PC system

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by StuckwithIT, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StuckwithIT

StuckwithIT Thread Starter

Hi TSG
    SysInfo details:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 19 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 5326 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8610G + 8500M Dual Graphics, 768 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 704150 MB, Free - 656504 MB;
    Motherboard: AMD, VG10AD
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I'm hitting a problem I've never seen before.
    I enter "www.lastminute.com" into the address field of IE11 and hit Enter. The IE window clears, displays a white background, then the whole PC system hangs: mouse pointer frozen, no keyboard, can't Ctrl/Alt/Del. The only way forward is to force a power-off by holding the power button down.

System restarts okay, as if nothing happened. There's no "Windows was shut down unexpectedly" message or anything.

Relaunching IE brings up the option to restore the last session. if I do that, the system hangs totally again, exactly the same as before.

If I don't restore the last IE session, I can do anything I like on the PC including internet access, using Outlook, even using IE to renew my Office 365 Home subscription. But if I navigate to www.lastminute.com it will hang the system again.

Any idea what might be happening?

thanks for help, as ever

Andy
    "StuckwithIT"

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

You know, it could be a plugin installed I IE11 that is causing the issue; if you go toTools - Manage Addons, look through the list for Toolbars and extensions, the one that usually causes issues is the Flash or Shockwave, but sometime security program addons can to that too.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

Andy, look in Event Viewer and see if there is any useful information there that may indicate the reason for the freeze.

To access Event Viewer : Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer (which is in the Right-side pane)

T.

4. StuckwithIT

StuckwithIT Thread Starter

Thanks for those suggestions. .
    My son's getting married today (Sunday), so the PC issue will have to take a back seat for a day or so. :)
    I will look into IE Plug Ins and check the Event viewer, then report back

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!