1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer 7

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by johnb94, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnb94

johnb94 Thread Starter

I have a very irritating problem with Explorer 7. Quite simply it wont open when I double-click on the icon (or exe file). It starts to open, then vanishes from the screen! Quite by accident I doscovered that holding down the CTRL key when I double-click remedies this and allows the browser to open. Although this works around the problem, it is hardly satisfactory, and as IE7 is my default browser, it causes other problems with URL links within documents. I will be enormously grateful if one of you clever people can steer me to the solution. (You may have gathered I am not very computer literate!) I run WinXP with SP2.
    Thank you, John B

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

IE7 is opening, or at least trying to open but then its crashing. Try disabling all your add-ons if you haven't already and see if that works. If it does then add them back one by one to find out which is causing the problem.

3. johnb94

johnb94 Thread Starter

Thanks for your interest - Unfortunately it didn't work. Ill keep hoping! JohnB

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you backed up to IE 6 and see if you still have the problem ??

If you want to try this ...
    Go to Add/Remove >> click on Show M$ updates >> find and remove the IE7 update >
    then reboot.

5. johnb94

johnb94 Thread Starter

I must offer my apologies to NoyB - Although I do have IE7 installed now it is only a very recent upgrade and regrettably I have suffered the problem for quite a long time, i.e while I was using IE6. So sorry again for unintentionally misleading you. I would dearly love to have the answer to the problem. I have now decided to make Firefox my default browser, as I dont seem to have a problem with that but I think I would prefer to be able to use IE - only because I am more familiar with it. JohnB

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice