1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer 8 keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by amunchie, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amunchie

amunchie Thread Starter

My computer is running on Windows XP. Recently I bought a new TV Stick for my PC but it told me to update to SP2 when I've got SP3. I reverted back to SP2 but I still had problems installing my TV stick. I updated to SP3 again but discovered this had created problems. My Internet Explorer 8 now keeps crashing. I tried to reinstall it but during reinstalling my computer shuts down and I get the blue error screen. I also have Safari but this also keeps crashing. I've also got Google Chrome but I haven't tried that yet. The only browser I don't seem to have any trouble with is Firefox.

The only thing I can think of, but I only do it as a last resort, is to do a Windows XP reinstall.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I think dropping back to SP2 with IE8 installed was probably a bad idea. If a System Recovery doesn't sort this out to before all the fooling around with service packs started, you may end up starting over.

3. amunchie

amunchie Thread Starter

I set a System Restore point before doing this, but when I came to set to an earlier time even this crashed!!!

I will try and remove IE8 according to Microsoft's website as the remove option is not available in the Add/remove list and reinstall it again. I'll try the same for Safari.

I'll let you know how I get on.

4. JohnWill

Sounds like a mess. :)

5. amunchie

amunchie Thread Starter

Yes, well, I tried Google Chrome and had a problem with that as well. I've removed Safari and Google Chrome and IE8, but when my Windows updates brings this up and I try to install IE8 again, my computer crashes during installation which is the same thing that happened when I tried this before. I'm not gonna do this with Safari or Chrome. IE7 seems to work okay. I think I've got no option but to reinstall my Windows XP as I've got so many problems.

6. DotHQ

DotHQ

I agree. I think you need to reinstall XP to move on. Good luck.

7. jakey8

jakey8 Banned

what about scanning it cos IE8 is a virus so...best thing to do is inclomplete it n soon try deleting everything in add or remove program so i think to use firefox instead...

8. JohnWill

jakey8, please don't post nonsense posts in technical topics.

9. jakey8

jakey8 Banned

oops sorry

10. amunchie

amunchie Thread Starter

Since I did a disc clean-up my computer has stopped crashing, because it was crashing without warning on the odd occasion, but this morning I tried to re-install the IE8 update and this time was successful. I have opened and used IE8 without any promblems, and I have not had to re-install my OS. I'm going to see how it goes now. Thanks to everyone who has offered their help.

11. JohnWill

Glad you sorted it out.

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/856482