1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer - ADDRESS NOT VALID

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by LucyMichaels, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LucyMichaels

LucyMichaels Thread Starter

I am using Windows XP and IE8. On my toolbar, I have two places to type – the main IE and a Google search slot. I have my default search engine as Google and my home page default is MSN.

Until yesterday, I could type anything into the main IE slot – incomplete Web names, misspelled Web names, questions. I would get a variety of results – almost always helpful.

Now, when I type anything less than a perfect Web address, I get the “Address Not Valid” screen.

I LOVED this feature – please help me get it back.

2. Mr. Freeman

Mr. Freeman

Are you able to type a correct web address though and surf to it? If not, it sounds like the DNS settings may be incorrect. Go to Control Panel in Classic View>Network Connections>right-click the Local Area Connection and select Properties>highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the list and click on Properties again>make sure "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is selected>click OK and then test surf again.

3. LucyMichaels

Thanks for the try -but, "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" was already selected.

4. Mr. Freeman

Mr. Freeman

I've had this problem frequently with IE 8. Open a command prompt window by clicking on Start>Run, backspacing anything in there, and typing in only " CMD ." (No quotes, no period.) You should get a black window. In that black window, type in " ping www.yahoo.com " or " ping www.google.com ." (Again, no quotes, no period, and pay attention to the spaces between the word, "ping" and the URL.)

If you get "Reply from ..." four times and then it tells you that the packets sent were four and received were four, then you are connected to the internet. What this means is that your computer, the modem, and the internet are all talking to one another, but your browser is not.

First, make sure to turn off/disable any firewalls or anti-virus programs for just a few minutes and test surf. (You can sometimes view what firewalls or anti-virus programs you have running by going to Start>Control Panel>Security Center, depending on which Service Pack you have installed.) If you can surf with these programs disabled then the issue lies with those programs.

Second, if disabling security programs does not work, then re-enable them, of course, and try resetting IE 8 back to factory settings. You can do this by going into Internet Options, found either in IE 8 or in the Control Panel, clicking on the Advanced tab, and then clicking on "Reset" at the bottom of this tab, under "Reset Internet Explorer settings." (Keep in mind this will remove any toolbars you may have and clear your history and cookies. It should not delete any Favorites, although it is always a good idea to make back-ups just in case.) You should reboot your computer after doing this.

If that does not work, let us know. Like I said, Microsoft's IE 8 has semi-known compatibility issues with XP.

Hope it helps!

5. Mr. Freeman

Mr. Freeman

You may also want to send a message to a TechGuy admin to have this thread moved to a more pertinent forum, since the issue doesn't seem to be related to Windows Server 2003/2008.

6. valis

valis Moderator

moved to web and email forum per request.

7. LucyMichaels

Thank you, Mr. Freeman - your fix worked!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/845532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice