1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer and Windows Update

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Sparkie25, Nov 26, 2001.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sparkie25

Sparkie25 Guest Thread Starter

I recently purchased and installed a new (blank) hard drive into my computer. I had to reinstall (fresh) Windows 98, from cd-rom, however, Internet Explorer (IE) was not installed automatically. I thought all Windows98 CD's had IE as a companion application? Is it possible that because my old hard drive had it automatically, that IE was somehow "turned off" during this installation? If so, how do I "turn it on" again? My only (at the moment) Internet access is through America Online (AOL) 5.0. And, that is accessed through a phone line. AOL works smoothly, except (obviously) for accessing webpages or websites. A friend kindly uploaded "ie5setup.exe" from the Microsoft website onto a floppy. Which, I downloaded and installed partially successful. Why partially? Because, during the installation process, when Windows connects to the Internet to download its' components, I received a "Windows Update Setup" action box. It stated, "Setup was unable to download the information about the available sites." Duh! I checked my proxy and security settings, everything is correct. Also, I have the small, blue (e) on my Taskbar. However, when I click on the IE icon to open the browser, I get... "You need to have a Internet connection... " Talk about going in circles. I guess my questions are; Is there a way to "go around" the Windows Updating to get the IE browser to function, then go back for the updating? Would the Windows 95 version of IE (4.x or lower) install into Windows98? If so, could I then upgrade to IE 5.x without incident? Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Sparkie25,
    Try signing on to AOL then open internet explorer see what happens. IE5.5 can be downloaded from the microsoft web site.

3. Sparkie25

Since I don't have the Internet Explorer (IE) completely installed, I cannot access webpages, or websites, even under AOL. Unless, I'm completely losing my mind, which is possible at this point, I need IE (some version) so I'd be able to access webpages through AOL. But, Windows doesn't allow me to complete IE 5.x installtion because it wants to access websites to update Window Components. And, Windows cannot access those websites because.... I don't have a working IE browser. One needs the other to complete. Is there a way to "go around", or "turn off" the Windows's Update, so I can install IE completely, and then update at a later time?

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Sparkie25,
    Im not quite understanding here. Butif you have an AOL icon click on it . It should open the sign in box for AOL. When you get in try downloading IE again and installing it.

5. Sparkie25

Sorry. I must sound like I'm typing in circles. I do appreciate the patience. I have used AOL, each time, for downloading and installing IE. I have the small. blue (e) on my taskbar, which to me indicates IE is downloaded onto my hard drive. However, as stated perviously, when I am executing the installation of IE, it initializes Windows's Update Setup. During this stage, Windows tries to access websites to add the update components. However, since IE is not installed (just downloaded), I still do not have web browsing access. Yes, I have AOL, and am allowed to do everything, BUT access websites. I know AOL by itself cannot access websites, so it needs a browser application such as IE or Netscape. Which is why I'm installing the IE browser, so AOL can eventually access websites. So, my question is... Is there a way I can "go around" or "turn off" the Windows Update during the installation process, so IE will complete its installation and I can have website access? In which afterwards, I can reset or "turn on" and then update Windows accordingly? If so, how would I change the settings? In the Windows Udate Wizard? Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

6. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Sparkie25,
    I dont htink you need IE to access AOL. Aol uses its own browser.The Icon for AOL should bring up your sign in box. Try checking Add/Pemove programs in the control panel and see if IE is installed

7. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice