Solved Internet Explorer blank and inactive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

roster

When I run Internet Explorer it has a blank page and will not go to a web address. The menu is not visible and all entries on the tools icon are blanked out except "File", "Safety", "Compatibility View settings" and "Report website problems". Typing "inetcpl.cpl" in the Run box, Advanced, Reset does not fix the problem. Norton and Malwarebytes scans are negative.

I'd be grateful for any help. Thank you.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16367 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (187 GB Free); F: 1863 GB (1392 GB Free); H: 7451 GB (2511 GB Free); I: 3725 GB (1942 GB Free); J: 2794 GB (1580 GB Free); K: 5588 GB (2502 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z68X-UD7-B3
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Enabled and Updated

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you right-click the top border of an Internet Explorer webpage and then select and left-click "Menu Bar", the menu will appear in the upper left of the webpage.

Are you using Internet Explorer 11 or an older version?

--------------------------------------------------------------

roster

Frank, Thank you very much for helping. I am using Internet Explorer version 11.0.9600.18665. Nothing happens when I right-click on the top border (it does not open a menu). Apart from the top border, the whole window is blank (even after I enter a valid URL in the address bar and press Enter or the green arrows to refresh) - here is a screenshot:

Internet Explorer 11 window.jpg

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you RIGHT-click within that dark border that "Internet Explorer" is in, a menu will appear.
When it does, LEFT-click on "Menu Bar" to put a checkmark in it.
The menu will then appear under where you enter a webpage address.

You can also do it by RIGHT-clicking on the blue gear icon.

---------------------------------------------------------------

roster

Thanks again! When I RIGHT-click in the dark border, a menu does appear - but the only choices are Restore, Move, Size, Minimize, Maximize and Close. The is NO "Menu bar" option.

Note that the lack of a menu bar is not the main problem. The main problem is that the main part of the Internet Explorer window is blank and stays blank even when I enter a valid URL and press Enter or press the refresh (green arrows) button. That is, Internet Explorer does not work and cannot be used to browse the internet.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
This is what it should look like when you right-click the top border of the IE window or when you right-click on its gear icon.

Capture.JPG

roster

Frank, thank you very much indeed for offering advice.

I have discovered that the problem was caused by an out of date Firefox add-on, Open in IE version 1.5.0.1-signed (which was not flagged as out of date in Firefox). The problem was solved by deleting Open in IE from Firefox, closing Firefox, then resetting Internet Explorer ny typing "inetcpl.cpl" in the Run box in the Start Menu, Enter, Advanced, Reset, and OK. The Firefox add-on Open with Internet Explorer version 49,0 works without breaking Internet Explorer. Perhaps this fix will help others.

Thanks to Tech Support Guy for being such a helpful website.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm glad to hear you got it resolved. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online