1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer can't explore - help!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by whit44, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whit44

whit44 Thread Starter

My up-to-date IE 6 suddenly stopped working...gets "Page cannot be displayed" in ~1 second after attempting any link, vs. normal browse time of 30 seconds or so before giving up.

MY CONNECTION: Tele LAN via wife's puter to DSL, with two dial-up backup options. Problem's the same on both LAN and dial-up connections.

WHAT WORKS: Outlook Express 6, both backup browsers (Netscape and Opera), LAN communications/file sharing, all other Win98 SE functions and applications including AVG and Ad-Aware which both successfully check for updates.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
       Reboots and power cycles
       Uninstalled IE/OE6...same problem with IE 5
       Scandisk (including surface scan) in DOS mode - no problems

Anybody....HELP!

-- whit

2. BillC

BillC

Sounds to me like a IE problem if both OE and virus updates work. Have you tried Microsoft's IE repair site ?

3. XbrvhrtX

XbrvhrtX

another thought....do you have a firewall and is it permiting internet access

4. whit44

whit44 Thread Starter

Nope, no firewall, plus my other browsers are working.

Edit: Oops, didn't see Bill's first note. I'll give that a try, although same problem with both IE6 and IE5 I reverted to? Doesn't seem likely, but beggers can't be choosers! lol Thanks

5. whit44

whit44 Thread Starter

Bill...checked out your link, but that's for XP and I have W98. Also, I've uninstalled IE6 (IE5 had the same problem), then reinstalled IE6 so evidently IE6 itself is ok.

Anyway, I found this page with some more searching of MS's knowledge base which sounded possible, but couldn't complete the steps. DOS Command mode doesn't list any directory in Windows directory that's labeled "Temporary Internet Files," so couldn't complete the step to delete the suspected corrupted file "index.dat" which Win mode wouldn't let me touch. Any suggestions on that?

6. skyman

skyman

Go to control panel, add/remove programs and scroll to IE and click on it. Select "fix" and then reboot. See if this helps.

Try this site and see if it helps:

http://www.toejumper.net

7. HumanShame

HumanShame

Read this MSKB Article...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281679

An easier way to fix this is to copy the below code into Notepad corresponding to your Windows Version. After copying the code into Notepad click "file" then "save as" then name it "fixie.bat" (USE QUOTES WHEN NAMING IT!) and save it to your C: drive or somewhere you can find it. After saving it make sure ALL Internet Explorer windows are closed. Not minimized...totally exited. Then double click the file and see if that helps.. here is the code...

For Windows 9x/ME

PHP:
    @echo off 
    cls 
    regsvr32 urlmon
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Url
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Mshtml
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Actxprxy
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Oleaut32
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Shell32
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Shdocvw
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Shdocvw
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Msjava
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Actxprxy
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Oleaut32
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Mshtml
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Browseui
    .dll 
    goto eof
    :eof

For Windows NT (including XP and 2000)

PHP:
    @echo off 
    cls 
    regsvr32 urlmon
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Url
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Mshtml
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Actxprxy
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Oleaut32
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Shell32
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Shdocvw
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Shdocvw
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Msjava
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Actxprxy
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Oleaut32
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Mshtml
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Browseui
    .dll 
    regsvr32 Shell32
    .dll 
    goto end 
    :end 
    After double clicking the fixie.bat file you'll see a bunch of popups..just go ahead and hit "OK" to the popups then open Internet Explorer again and see if it works.

8. whit44

whit44 Thread Starter

Skyman...out of desperation, I tried a "repair" on the IE6 I just reinstalled...no change after reboot.

HS...no luck with that routine either. MSDos window showed up listing "bad command or file name" 13 times, plus IE Options screens showed up, but no other pop-ups. Also, none of my symptoms related to the MSKB article you referred me to, so didn't try anything from that.

Anymore ideas you guys, or anyone else?

9. juliev

juliev

This sounds exactly like my friend's problem... I've been told to verify if the DNS is working properly, but I don't know how to do this... Maybe some one can help us with this...Thanks

10. whit44

whit44 Thread Starter

Hi Julie, thanks for bringing this to the top on the topic list...I'm surprised you found it buried somewhere in the stack.

Just an update...I've exhausted all the options suggested here so far, plus my own I've been trying, so am currently being supported by Microsoft's out-sourced support group on a paid-for incident basis. While that's still on-going for the past couple weeks, no break-throughs yet, although they've had me jumping through hoops. There's loads of MS Knowledge Base articles too that relate and make for painful reading, but I've read most of them and stepped through some without success...tis a puzzler alright.

On your friend's problem and the DNS thought, that's certainly a critical and related function to explore, although in my case, I believe DNS is done by the host computer on my LAN, plus both my backup Netscape and Opera browsers (which must use DNS also) work, so I doubt it's a factor for me...plus I wouldn't have a clue on how to verify DNS is ok other than derive that fact from my other browsers working.

Anyway, if a miraculous solution develops short of buying a new computer or reinstalling Win98 (or an upgrade) with all the problems associated with doing that, I'll try and remember to post something here FYI. Thanks again for your interest.

-- whit

11. juliev

juliev

Hi,

I also have 2 messages on the microsoft news server, if anything comes up I'll post it here also. Thanks for the tip on Netscape, I'll have her install it and see if she can access the web with it... Thanks !

12. whit44

whit44 Thread Starter

Problem is, Julie, if she can't access the web, how's she going to D/L or install Netscape without a CD for it?

--whit

13. juliev

juliev

Weird thing is that it works fine when she uses her 56 k access... Her problem sounds like yours, but it may be a little more confusing... When using her ADSL connection, If she writes the name of the website, for example www.google.com, the page cannot be displayed, but when she types in the IP address of the website (216.239.59.99) the page appears... She only has that problem with IE when using her ADSL connection but it works fine with the 56 Kbps... But back to your problem, is it only your computer that has this problem or does your wife's pc also has it ?

14. whit44

whit44 Thread Starter

Last thing first, nope, no problem on my wife's host computer. Your friend's problem, however, sound to me as though it could very well be related to a DNS glitch. Unfortunately, I've never figured out quite how the DNS function is apportioned between the internet server and the user's PC, although I believe both are involved. Just curious, has she discussed it with her DSL's ISP tech support? Sometimes they can help sort it out.

15. juliev

juliev

try copying Google's IP address in IE and let me know if it works... 216.239.59.99

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice