1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer can't see new Broadband Connections

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by LIGHT, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LIGHT

LIGHT Thread Starter

I just had a cable modem installed and everything works fine with Firefox, Outlook Express and IE on my networked machine, but IE on my main machine doesn't see the connection. If I use the dial up connection I was using, it works fine. I've stepped through the broadband connection procedure for IE and it still doesn't see a connection. I could just blow it off and use FF, but there is one site I go to that only works for IE.

2. AdamP

AdamP

try this, it works in some cases like this
    go to start > run > type "inetwiz" > select "Connect using my local area network (LAN)" > click "Next" > click "Next" again > Select "No" > click "Next" > click "Finish" > Try IE

3. LIGHT

LIGHT Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I tried it, but got the same result. On the first window, I have only manual proxy server checked. On the next one, I have "localhost" and "8080" in the first two boxes. The third window says to not use a proxy server on 127.0.0.1 and the box for not using a proxy server for local addresses is checked.

When I use a dial-up connection, IE works fine. It seems like it is looking for a dial-up instead of recognizing the cable connection.

4. AdamP

AdamP

ahhh i see
    in ie click tools > internet options > click connections > click LAN Settings > Uncheck everything > click ok > ok again > close ie > try again

5. LIGHT

LIGHT Thread Starter

That did it. The proxy box was messing me up. Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice