1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer Clicking Noises

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Towlies, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Towlies

Towlies Thread Starter

Well I noticed this about a week ago I was in game and I heard a click sound every 10-15 minutes...I noticed it cause I had headphones on instead of speakers....Well I started to listen then on speakers and when I am in game my computer will actually do like the Internet Explorer Clicking Noise.

Like when you click on a link in Internet Explorer it makes that noise before it loads. My concern is that something is running on my computer clicking links and loading things taking up my limited bandwidth...Also note that I do not even use IE I am all Firefox so its not even running or anything.

Any idea on what is doing this?

2. guitar

guitar Banned

do a hard drive test it sounds like it may be about to fail

3. Towlies

Towlies Thread Starter

No its not the hard drive that is causing the sounds its the sound you get like when you click a link in Internet Explorer..I know its not the hard drive making the noise.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Look through Sounds to see what operation is setup to make that sound.

5. Towlies

Towlies Thread Starter

Its setup for this...

Start Navigation
    Windows XP Start.wav

But when It makes the noise is when I click on a link in Internet Explorer....But when it does the click every 10-20 minutes I am not doing any mouse clicks.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need to check every sound event.

7. Towlies

Towlies Thread Starter

I did and that is the only place that sound event is used.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So every sound on your computer is disabled excpet for the Sound Windows sound? You never hear any beeps, new mail notification sounds, no Exit Windows sound, nothing?

The Start Windows sound is not the one you're hearing. You're hearing the navigation sound. That's why you need to look at all sound events to see if there's something set to make that sound for a particular event.

I'm at a loss as to how to describe it any clearer.

When I open Sounds and Audio Devices Properties and click on the Sounds tab, I have a large list of program events.

Windows
    Asterisk
    Close program
    Critical Stop
    Default Beep
    Device Connect

You're saying you looked at every one of these events, and the only sound your computer is set to make is the Start Windows sound? All the rest do not have a speaker icon next to them?

9. Towlies

Towlies Thread Starter

No that is not what I mean...I mean that

Start Navigation
    Windows XP Start.wav

Is the only one what is setup to play the sound that I am hearing

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Set it to None.

11. Towlies

Towlies Thread Starter

Well I know I can do that but I really want to know what is causing it....Because I think its something loading on a web page in the backround....Which I can't spare that bandwidth.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I wouldn't bother with trying to figure out why. I thought you wanted it to stop. It's easy to make it stop. I can't think of a single logical reason as to why anyone would want to hear that noise for any event. I turn off nearly all sounds.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice