1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet explorer closes immediately after opening

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by rockydasquirrel, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rockydasquirrel

rockydasquirrel Thread Starter

Hi everyone, New to the forum so thanks for the help ahead of time. Upon opening internet explorer it immediately closes and displays nothing. Also Internet options in control panel will not open at all. The windows firewall also tells me "For your security, some settings are controlled by group policy." This computer is not on a network and is a home computer. I was able to work around it by doing some registry work in which I removed the value on the firewall key. So that enabled me to turn the firewall back on. The service for windows firewall is now started with no errors and is set to automatic.

The Internet explorer problem is more important to me at the moment. I know the internet connection is active because firefox works perfectly. I scanned the computer with AVG and it found so many viruses and trojans it was rediculous. I also scanned the computer with webroot spysweeper and it found nothing but when I open IE it stops all sorts of things like drivecleaner for example.

HijackThis log listed below...

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 5:57:40 PM, on 12/29/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
    Boot mode: Normal

pleasew let me know if you should need anymore information

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/784721