1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer Failure

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Marrion, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marrion

Marrion Thread Starter

Hi Guys. My son is running Win98 and suddenly IE won't open (or any website). He is able to send and receive mail without any problem. Have tried disabling Zone Alarm and all obvious checks. When opening Internet Options from the Tools menu (General Tab), instead of an address displaying, the following is showing - OWS/System/shdollc.dll/dnserror.htm
    Is anyone able to help please?

2. 911

It looks like someone clobbered your son's homepage setting, if you mean that "OWS/System/shdollc.dll/dnserror.htm" is in the window showing his homepage.
    Clear the window and put in the address of the homepage that he wants. Or try this as a new homepage. http://www.techguy.org/ That will bring him to this forum, if it is the only problem. ---911

3. Marrion

Marrion Thread Starter

Tried the new homepage address but still the IE browser (or any other websites) won't open. The internet options address now shows as www.techguy.org (have also tried several others). However at the top of the IE browser the following shows up there above the taskbar - OWS/System/shdollc.dll/dnserror.htm
    Incidently I have run Adaware, Spybots etc. Would appreciate any further assistance (keeping in mind that I am a novice user ) Many thanks

4. 911

5. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hi Marrion :)

Found this conversation similiar to your situation:
    Link

looks like you need to run HijackThis( post your results for an expert here to view and comment on), clean out the problems, and possibly do a 'rebuild' or reinstal of IE6.

6. Marrion

Marrion Thread Starter

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help, it was much appreciated. After going through all the processes suggested I checked out and altered the TCP/IP settings that the server had originally given us - for some reason they seemed to be no longer applicable :rolleyes: and voila! the browser returned. :)
    However, the time here was not wasted because I have now discovered a couple of new programmes that are useful :) so thanks once again :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice