1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet explorer has stoped working

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by techn0ob, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techn0ob

techn0ob Thread Starter

i get a box saying internet explorer has stopped working windows can check online for a solution for the problem then it gives me a option to close the program or check online for solution this happens even if explorer isnt on and i dont even use explorer i use opera

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Since you do not use it, do you want to uninstall Internet Explorer?

3. antech

antech Banned

What is the EXACT Name of the process?
    Does it automatically start when you start windows?
    Cheeseball81,is it OK to uninstall some unrequired system components in that way?
    May/May NOT be a Malware Problem .
    Which antivirus do you use?
    Consider running a QUICK SCAN with MalwareBytes and SAS
    (Download link in my sign)

4. antech

antech Banned

Sorry Cheeseball81,
    My Browser just HANGED and IE8 is NOT able to show up my sign and the report and the reply and all the other required buttons.

Follow the below instructions Carefully:
    1. Download HiJackThis from the link in my signature
    2. Run a Scan.
    3. Save a Logfile(On your Desktop)
    4. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING BY YOURSELF.
    (Fixing Anything Might cause Unwanted System Instability,BSOD's and Even Render your System Unusable)
    5.Copy and Paste all the contents
    6. Paste them in the reply Window

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    WHAT?!? If you don't care for the name "Cheeseball81" just stay away from it. What possible reason do you have to diss Cheeseball81 by mangling the name that way? [I edited the names that were used, as nobody else needs to see them.]

What in the world makes you think that somebody with a gold shield and "Microsoft MVP/Windows - Consumer Security" is not going to consider malware possibilities if and when warranted and is going to suggest uninstalling something if it is not OK?

Since there is nothing in the thread to suggest malware to you or me, and there is already a gold shield participating in the thread, I am taking this as you posting unqualified malware advice. I think you have been warned, at least unofficially, about this before. Take this as an official warning. I see that you have now racked up five violations. You may want to tread very carefully.

6. antech

antech Banned

What do you mean by this,TerryNet?
    I was just asking some simple questions and advice from CheeseBall81!
    No contrary answer were there.
    I was NOT trying to Dishonour him.
    Sorry ,I typed the reference name incorrectly.
    I have done this unknowingly,
    NOT PURPOSINGLY!
    Sorry again,
    TerryNet and CheeseBall81.
    Sorry if I have hurt anyone.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That is exactly what I thought, which is why I did not ban you for at least 3 days. But it wasn't a simple misspelling; it was differently incorrect in two posts; and it sounded very disrespectful. At least 4 or 5 administrators and moderators have indicated that I was too soft with you.

As I write this I see that you have been given a 3 day timeout for something else. Please use the time to reflect on how your posts may look to somebody else.

And when you come back please READ and THINK. Every single one of us misses important information in a thread, or doesn't understand what another poster meant, or forgot something that was already posted by the time we get to the end of a thread, or doesn't consider how something might look to the reader, and then we post something that makes us look "stupid." One of the secrets to success here is to make those "stupid" posts be a low percentage of our total. There is no short cut way to be successful at this. READ what everybody else is saying. THINK about what you are writing, whether it really adds to the thread, and how other people may interpret it.

And, if I may, a little advice about malware issues. I am clueless about malware removal and have little interest in the subject so it is easy for me to stay away from it. But folks who have spent years in their own career or business fighting malware in their own way have been tripped up here because they don't follow the forum rules and practices on malware removal. The people who have gone to the (large and intense) effort of earning a gold shield, even a blue or green shield, are naturally not going to be receptive to getting advice on malware from folks like you and me. My advice to you is to not even post in any thread where malware is hinted until you get yourself on solid ground in the forum. There are a lot of topics of interest to you; spend your time in those other ones for now.

EDIT: I don't want you or anyone else to think that I notice only mistakes. For example, in this Solved thread you were the only person to help and earned a "Magnificent advice, thank you so very much!" from a brand new member. :)

8. antech

antech Banned

Sorry Terrynet,
    But I DO HAVE AN EXPERIENCE with the Malware Field and Antivirus Testing and Bug Reporting and Malware Analysis and removal of about 4 and a half years.
    I DO NOT SELDOM TRUST ANTIVIRUSES TO REMOVE MALWARE!
    I Remove them Manually...
    The guy's at techguy.org just DO NOT allow someone to ask for a HiJack This log to analyze how many processes the user is running and help him trim up his startup!

I just wanted to help him trim up the no. of processes the guy was running and make his System run fast!
    And THEY JUST BANNED ME TO GIVE UNQUALIFIED MALWARE REMOVAL ADVICE!

Totally Disgusting Reason.......
    (This is my personal opinion)
    BTW,
    the HJT Log was request by me only .
    And is it wrong for a member to request an user to run a scan with SAS and MalwareBytes just for his sake!
    I ask this to everybody because some Malware(s) do interrupt/disrupt when the user follow's the given solution/advice.
    Have a GOOD DAY!
    I missed this Site for 3 DAYS!

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    antech, I fear that you have learned little from your timeout period. I am not going to argue here about the site rules or how other moderators may have interpreted them with regard to a specific thread. "They" are going to ban you again, and "they" may be me this time. I have already seen another thread this morning (it's morning in my time zone) that may be the trigger.

STAY AWAY FROM MALWARE ISSUES. If you don't have a gold, blue or green shield there are some things you can do with HJT logs and malware and a lot that you cannot. Anybody who has been in trouble once is going to be watched even closer. You do not yet have the judgment to accurately determine what you can do and what you cannot do. You cannot win this battle. It may be too late. You may have been banned already while I'm shaking my head and typing this.

Smart people do not fight battles that they cannot win. They pick the battles that both they have a chance to win and that matter to them. If malware is real important to you work for a gold shield, but at this time stay away, stay far away. Post and help in other areas and gain a good reputation. Then you may be able to return to malware.

There are members (and moderators) who are unhappy with some of your other (non malware related) posts. Work on improving the quality of those. I'm sure you can do it if you set your mind to it.

This is not meant as a warning; not meant as a threat; simply telling you what I see and trying to give you a chance to continue on this site.

10. antech

antech Banned

OK ,thanks.
    But can I continue to Request HJT logs for trimming up startups and the no of processes the user is running?

11. antech

antech Banned

I dont think so.....

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Only if you are very clear about what you are doing--even say that you are not looking at the entire log--and are careful in what processes you select to be omitted.

Another tactic to use sometimes is to suggest the OP uses a utility such as Autoruns (login tab), and decides for himself or herself what needn't run at startup.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice