1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer help

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by LAWster, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LAWster

LAWster Thread Starter

This is my first post here. I need help :)

I have Duron 600 MHz, 20 GB HD, Riva TNT M64, 64 MB of RAM, Network Card connected to reuter with modem ( that's my Internet connection ). Believe me, my Windows 98 worked perfectly. I used Internet Explorer 5. But some pages refused to work, or strange errors occurred. So I decided to install Internet Explorer 6. I was happy because all pages which didn't work now started to work. But after few seconds after instalation I encountered strange thing. Eeach time, I right click some file ( whatever file ) some small menu should appear ( with open, delete, cut, paste options ). And it appeared but after 30 seconds !!! I couldn't believe this. So I reinstalled internet Explorer 6. And it didn't help. So I returned to old Internet Explorer 5. It helped a bit, now menu after right click pop ups 5 seconds after click, not 30 like before. But it is still slower than in the past. What could happen ?

Also I heard that when you install Windows when network Card is plugged, then Windows will be acting slow. Is this true ? maybe when I install Internet Explorer I should unplug Network Card ?

2. LAWster

LAWster Thread Starter

I think I have new clues for this problem. I saw that small menu after I right click the file show up again after 30 seconds. but after I run Internet Explorer 5 ( cuz I got back to old version ) the menu pop ups quicker !!!!!!! Also I encountered that Windows Explorer is trying to access internet even he didnt do that before.

GUYS I am begging for help :(

3. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

There should be a box in internet tools>advanced tab or something like it in which there is a line that reads "Automatically check for IE updates".Or something similar, anyway uncheck that. Next, when your firewall detects WINDOWS explorer, not Internet explorer, trying to access the internet(this happens if you hover your mouse over an html document) simply set it(you'll have to figure out how, as I don't know your firewall) your firewall to never allow WINDOWS explorer to have access to the net. That done, 64 megs of ram is low and sounds like your system is simply "bogging" down under the strain. Windows is being forced to use its' swap file instead of physical ram to make things happen. Windows 5.5 is less bloated than 6.0, so 6.0 is therefore gonna cause more system strain, causing the outlandish times it requires to display right click context menus and everything else too for that matter. First, clean up your PC. get rid of programs that are collecting dust and/or ones you no longer want/use. Look for(Google) a freeware program that claims to get rid of old files and such. Most are pretty safe as they use pretty conservative parameters when choosing files to delete. Next Scan disk and defagment the drive. After if you can, install aditional ram into you pc.
    Bottom line, it just sounds like your pc needs a tune up(including more ram), not that you have a virus or nesessarily any corrupt system files. Another thing I just thought of to add to the tune up list is a spyware/adware removal utility. Most are also free.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Lawster:

Your computer has a low-end AMD processor and only 64 MB of RAM, so that is part of your problem. You need to increase it to at least 128 MB, but preferably 192 - 256 MB.

I'm also guessing that the startup load is too bloated. Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - Startup(tab). How many programs are listed and have a checkmark next to them? Other than ScanRegistry, SystemTray, your antivirus program, and your firewall program, very little else needs to be loading during startup and running in the background. Click the link below and read the article on MSCONFIG.

5. LAWster

LAWster Thread Starter

Maritimesea !

I unchecked the "Automatically check for IE updates". I used ScanDisk, and Norton Utilities Speed Disk ( defrag ). I run AntiTrojans, Adaware, Spyboot, Norton Anivirus 2004. I checked Msconfig and no useless thing there, my Firewall or Norton Anti Virus DON'T load at start. My computer was and IS fast. I clean it. I deleted some things from registry after uninstall. I deleted cookies. I really carred about my PC. My PC need only few seconds at startup. I did everything.

You said that IE 6.0 took more PC energy :), more than 5.5. But I used IE 5.0. I installed IE 6.0 and few second after installation it became laggy after right click. So I got back to IE 5.0 ( unistalled IE 6.0 and my system automatically returned to IE 5.0 ). But why I still have right click slowdowns if I got rid of IE 6.0 ??? Also do U think that 64 MB RAM is so small if I care about my PC ? Why should I not allow Windows Explorer to access internet ? When I allow him, then right clicking on file is faster :( Why Windows Explorer is trying to access the NET, even I right click normal files, and directiories not Internet Files ( like html ) ?

6. LAWster

LAWster Thread Starter

Flavallee !

I checked your site. I found article about installing IE 6.0. I have to admit I didn't do the points you wrote. IE will work better if I amde everuthing what is written there ?

Second question. While I am installing IE 6.0 ( or even 5.5 ) should I be connected to Internet ?

Third Question. What is the difference between IE 5.5, IE 5.5 SP1 and IE 5.5 SP2. Same with IE 6.0 and 6.0 SP ?

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It doesn't matter how well you take care of your computer. It's going to continue to run as slow as molasses with 64 MB of RAM, and some programs will bog down or show obvious lag time.

8. LAWster

LAWster Thread Starter

But do U know where to download IE 5.5 polish version for Windows 98 ? And do I have to be connected to Internet while runnin IE setup. exe ?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You should be using Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 because of its added enhancements and security features.

Yes, you have to be connected to the Internet while running the Internet Explorer setup - unless you're running it from a CD.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice