1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer hyperlinks not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kqn73, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kqn73

kqn73 Thread Starter

Greetings to all fellow techies! I am a computer novice in some ways and cannot understand why recently, when I go to click on a link to a website from my email, or from my home page, the hourglass simply locks into its mode, I see another explorer button show up in the taskbar, but it will not link me over to the respective artivle to read or site to visit, etc. It recently started doing this, and under "Internet Options" when I click the advanced button I clicked on go to default settings, and the problem still persists! Does it have anything to do with a Java setting, and can anyone please help me with a number of troubleshooting suggestions?? It is very frustrating and has rendered my browser dysfunctional.
    Also, if I were to redownload the latest version of IE, which I have now, would it simply overlap this current one, without my losing all my settings, and homepage etc.??
    It is also happening in my Outlook Express email program, where it will not do anything if someone sends me a URL link or the likes. The computer has an Internet Explorer window that is blank, showing my desktop screen only.
    Any help and troubleshooting suggestions greatly appreciated....maybe installing a fresh browser over it is the way to go....but will I lose all my settings. But since it's also happening in Outlook Express I am very concerned about the problem.....and do not know what to do.
    Thank you for reading this, and please help, if possible.

2. jimi

jimi

Try Click Start / Run / regsvr32 urlmon.dll

credit mobo if this works i just searched

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. mobo

mobo

Welcome..

5. kqn73

kqn73 Thread Starter

Thank you JiMi and Rollin' Rog....I did what Jimi said and got the message that the action "succeeded" yet my machine is still not allowing me to ust the hyperlinks...and I really don't want to go back to some XP Restore Point, as I have put software and updates in. What did that command actually do Jimi??? Please let me know what effect it had?
    I will try researching that article you gave me tomorrow Rog, and if either of you or anyone else has any other suggestions to try they will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much you guys!!.... This one is really a pisser when I cannot go to some link and there is no address listed for it. Plus it makes for a lot of unnecessary typing. It must be conquered...er, I mean fixed...

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What Windows version is this?

... give us a copy/paste of a HijackThis Scanlog:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip

Unzip the file to its own folder, click "scan" and copy/paste the log here.

Also in addition to urlmon.dll there are some others it may be helpful to reregister. See this MS link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q281679

the command ensures that the registry contains valid entries for the current installed versions of the files being registered.

7. kqn73

kqn73 Thread Starter

Hello Rog,

I think what happened was when I ran this "Spykiller" program it must have killed some spyware that hi-jacked my browser. Okay I have version 1.93 of hi-jack this, ran it but could not copy or paste as those buttons were grayed out-even from notepad where I saved it to. If you have another way to email it to you I can. My secondary email is [email protected], and you can sensd an email there if you want.
    I am running Windows XP Media Center edition on an HP Pentium 4 machine...a few months old.
    I am going to try redownloading IE 6.0 over my current version and see if that fixes the problem.
    I will let you know probably tomorrow if it works.
    Thanks for staying with me Rog!! I am concerned about this crap, and hope it's fixed soon!
    Kevin

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Change the extension on the file from .log to .txt and you can upload it as an attachment. The icon will change when you rename it. If it doesn't, it hasn't been properly renamed. Sometimes file extensions are "hidden" and this option must be unchecked in Folder Options > View

Since you are on Windows XP, have you checked to see whether you have a System Restore date which predates this problem? (Start > run> msconfig > Launch System Restore) That is one feature that cures a lot of ills.

However be aware that any subsequent updates, file cleanings, installs, etc that were made since the restore date will have to be redone.

9. kqn73

kqn73 Thread Starter

Ok Rog.....I tried downloading the latest version of IE which I had anyway and it did nothing to fix. I restored the things that Spykiller program removed and it made no difference. I am going to go ahead and try the system restore function..the way back machine- which looks like it only has a restore date of the 16th or so as the last restore point....but will try it anyway...I know what I did since then anyway, and it won't hurt to try.
    My feeling is some spyware hijacked my browser. I dread having to deal with HP instant messaging support which is far from instant. Will probably have to pay a programmer to fix this....I don't know.
    Please review the hijack this log, get it to "mobo" if you can, and any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    If the restore thing works, I will post tonight to let you know...if I don't post you will know it did not work.
    Thanks to all and anyone. I want my browser back!!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.93.0
    Scan saved at 6:54:59 PM, on 10/20/2003
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page=http://www.comcast.net/home.html
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL=http://us7.hpwis.com/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL=http://srch-us7.hpwis.com/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant=about:blank
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page=http://us7.hpwis.com/
    N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "www.netscape.com"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ppa6t2b4.slt\prefs.js)
    N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CNetscape_UK.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ppa6t2b4.slt\prefs.js)
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.kazaagold.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 kazaagold.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.k-lite.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.kazaa-download.de
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.mp3downloadhq.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.easymusicdownload.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 easymusicdownload.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.mp3madeeasy.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.monstershare.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.kazaa-plus.net
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 kazaa-plus.net
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.kazaa-plus.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.edonkey.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.kazaa-file-sharing-downloads.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.kazaaplatinum.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.madeformusic.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 ikazaa.net
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.mp3u.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.mp3specialty.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 music-download-world.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 song-download-world.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.flixs.net
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.ishareit.net
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.ishareit.com
    O1 - Hosts: 216.239.37.101 www.download-doctor.com
    O2 - BHO: MyWay Search Assistant BHO - {04079851-5845-4dea-848C-3ECD647AA554} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4A8D21FB-E297-4CF2-9EF9-3DAE8A3BA441} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {9527D42F-D666-11D3-B8DD-00600838CD5F} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\IETie.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar_en_2.0.95-deleon.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: hp toolkit - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\HP\EXPLOREBAR\HPTOOLKT.DLL
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KYE_Showicon] "C:\Program Files\USB Storage RW\shwicon.exe" -t"KYE\USB Storage RW"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE" /run
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mouse Suite 98 Daemon] ICO.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver3\LVCOMS.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EXSHOW95.EXE] EXSHOW95.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorCombo] "C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\ComboButton.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolSwitch] C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FastUser] C:\WINDOWS\System32\fast.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GhostStartTrayApp] C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MXO Auto Loader] C:\WINDOWS\MXOaldr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Anti-Trojan-Watch] C:\Program Files\Anti-Trojan-55\ATWatch.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIEW] rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Acme.PCHButton] C:\PROGRA~1\HPINST~1\plugin\bin\pchbutton.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpyKiller] C:\Program Files\SpyKiller\spykiller.exe /startup
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe /0
    O4 - Startup: Tweaks & Tools - Memory manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Tweaks and Tools\ttmem.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar_en_2.0.95-deleon.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar_en_2.0.95-deleon.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar_en_2.0.95-deleon.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Search Using Copernic Agent - C:\Program Files\Copernic Agent\Web\SearchExt.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar_en_2.0.95-deleon.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar_en_2.0.95-deleon.dll/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Launch Copernic Agent (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Copernic Agent (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://free.aol.com
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {19E28AFC-EAE3-4CE5-AC83-2407B42F57C9} (MSSecurityAdvisor Class) - http://protect.microsoft.com/security/protect/WSA/shared/cab/x86/MSSecAdv.cab?1063336753750
    O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
    O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/SSC/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {DF6A0F17-0B1E-11D4-829D-00C04F6843FE} (Microsoft Office Tools on the Web Control) - http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/TemplateGallery/downloads/outc.cab

Attached Files:

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Wow, that is a VERY old version of HijackThis and although I don't see anything there which is relevant I'd like to see you use the new version. Get it from the link I posted.

Please follow THESE directions for using it because they will produce a different log than the Scanlog. It will show configured services, one of which may be an issue here.

I'd like the see the "Startuplist". Here is how you create it: open HijackThis and click Config > Misc Tools. Then put a check in "list minor sections"

Then click "Generate Startuplist" and upload that as an attachment.

Also can you access Administrative Tools, click on the Services profile and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC)? You may see two of them; the important one is described as:

"Provides the endpoint mapper and other miscellaneous RPC services."

double click to see if you can read its properties. Is it started and set to "Automatic"? If not, are you able to start it and change the startup mode to Automatic?

11. kqn73

kqn73 Thread Starter

Hi Rog,

I have startuplist somewhere in my computer, but will try your way first....if it does not work, can't I get it from a URL somewhere?
    Got the latest Hijack this and here is the latest log attached. Will try to follow with start -up list but if you don't get it tonight it will be tomorrow as I gotta study some for tomorrow (Commercial Truck driving course).
    Anyway thanks for staying with me man..the restore did not work. I was going to try Microsoft Outlook in Office XP to try hyperlinks there, but that can wait for now.
    Thanks again Rog. You rule!

Attached Files:

12. kqn73

kqn73 Thread Starter

Hi Rog,

I found it on my sys...though it may need an update, but here is the startuplist for you. Hope it enlightens you to a fix somehow!
    Do you still want me to check Admin Tools and RPC Services to see if I can start it and change to auto?
    I gotta study now......but can do that tomorrow if you think it might help matters in some way.
    As I said, I'm a novice at all this and greatly appreciate your help Rog!
    Talk with you tomorrow.
    Computer is a hp media center pc 854n with a GB of Ram Pentium 4- 2.53 Gig. Sure beates my old beater the emachine 4ssMHz Celeron fizzle box with the sad Win 98SE, though I do confess to running them in tandem to one monitor via a KVM switch- since I put a 40 Gig new hard drive in it, it still has it's uses, I suppose.
    I have an 80 Gig Maxtor "one touch" back-up external drive with Dantz retrospect hardware, but made the mistake of backing it up again after this hyperlink problem had developed...I could have kicked myself!
    Thanks man.
    Kevin

Attached Files:

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice