1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer keeps shutting down and restarting over and over

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by happybooker98, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. happybooker98

happybooker98 Thread Starter

I am losing my mind over this problem. Whenever I try to look up something or read my e-mail Internet Explorer shuts down and says it has encountered a problem. Then, it restarts, but I lose whatever information I was looking up and have to start over. I followed the directions for problem solving that popped up. I followed them ALL. I don't have any add-ons. I have Norton Security that comes with an Internet subscription from Comcast. This just started a couple of weeks ago after having the computer for 2 years. I went under the Control Panel to Programs and Features and I have deleted EVERYTHING that I can do without. The only thing left is what came with the computer and a couple of upgrades for things like Adobe Reader, etc. I only have Yahoo and Google toolbars. I have no viruses. My computer automatically updates Windows Vista at 3 a.m. every morning. What should I do next? I'm ready to take a hammer to it. Actually, I'm ready to go out and buy a new operating system and spend my nights talking bad about Windows Vista on Facebook and any forum I can find. What can I do to solve this problem?

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

how are you connected by wireless or cable
    if on a cable try safe mode with networking

as the pc starts keep tapping F8 should see a menu, choose
    safemode with networking
    does it work in this mode

3. happybooker98

happybooker98 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I'm at work right now and can't get to my home computer, but I'll try it as soon as I get home. I don't have wireless, so I guess it's cable.

4. gfne

gfne

I am contemplating whether the problem could be due to a toolbar misbehaving.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try the advice about Safe Mode with Networking from etaf to see if the issue still persists that mode.

Next,

Please click HERE to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

Run the program in Normal Mode.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961604