1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet Explorer not listed in Add/Remove Programs

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Lyn Patterson, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyn Patterson

Lyn Patterson Thread Starter

A friend is having problems with IE 5 and I directed her to Add/Remove Programs so she could repair it. However, IE is not listed in the list of programs. I got her to do a search to try and locate it and it is in C:\Windows.

Is this unusual? Mine is located in Program Files and of course is listed in the Add/Remove Programs list.

I am going to uninstall it for her and install IE5.5 from a CD but I was wondering why her original version is not listed in Add/Remove programs.

Lyn

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Lyn
    IE 5.01 is probably the original that came with the operating system thus you cannot remove it. This is why there is no add-remove reference. When you upgrade here to 5.5 over 5.0 then the add-remove will appear for 5.5 and repair will be available.

Dave

3. Lyn Patterson

davey7549

Yes, it did come with the OS. Thanks, I will just go ahead and put on 5.5. Just thought -do I remove the original first or install over the top?

Lyn

4. edsod

edsod

Just do the upgrade through Microsoft's Windows Update.
    It will do it's thing properly (hopefully!).
    Get also IE5.5 SP2.

5. rkselby98

rkselby98

6. Lyn Patterson

Hi edsod and rkselby98

Thanks for the tips - will do.

Lyn

7. Del

Del

If you install Office 2000 or Office XP, for some reason, Internet Explorer will disappear from Add/Remove Programs..
    Found this on ME and XP.
    Del

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/89635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice