1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer not opening up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by clemsonsportsga, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clemsonsportsga

clemsonsportsga Thread Starter

Hi! I am having trouble with my ie not wanting to open up right away. It takes about 2 minutes after double clicking the icon before it will open. Any suggestions?

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

3. thejay

thejay

How much memory do you have on your computer?
    what is your processor speed?
    For me, if I run into a problem like that I uninstall and then reinstall

4. clemsonsportsga

I have a Dell Dimonsion 4100 with pentium 3 processor at 800mg and a 19gb hard drive. The program is still not opening up until after 2 mins. What a drag! I have removed a program that I thought was causing it, but it did not help. This is wearing on my nerves. The problem started on Monday and has not let up. Could you help?
    Thanks,
    Kristi

5. rkselby98

rkselby98

Have you checked your msconfig to see what is running in the background. Checked for viruses, trojan or ad-ware or spyware?

Also remove all programs from the start up tab in msconfig that you don't need, have you defraged lately?

Use the following links to check for viruses, trojans and ad ware:

Ad-Ware Checks and removes spyware
    http://www.spychecker.com/download.html

MooSoft 30 day evaluation program for trojans
    http://www.moosoft.com/features.php

PC Pitstop antivirus program Must have IE Explorer 4.0 will not work with Netscape.
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/antivirus/default.asp

PC Cillion
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

6. clemsonsportsga

Hi! Rick.
    When I boot my computer, it says that there is an error in your config.sys file on line 18. Could this be causing the problem?

7. clemsonsportsga

I have defragged and cleaned the disk twice already this week. It said it found errors and fixed them. How would I fix the problem with my config system

8. rkselby98

rkselby98

Easy to find out, go to start, run, type in msconfig, click on OK

In the new window click on the config sys file, look at line 18 and post it here or check for the program to see what it is.

Also while you are in there go to the start up tab and post the programs that are listed there in this forum so we can see what is running in the back ground.

9. clemsonsportsga

There no numbers for the lines. There are 11 things in the config sys box.

10. rkselby98

rkselby98

OKay, not to sure about the config sys. Let's do this can you copy and paste them here and we can look at them. Maybe we can figure this out for you.

It sounds like a program is set for startup in the config.sys file. Maybe we can figure out what it is and then go from there.

Just don't change anything yet.

11. clemsonsportsga

Hi! sorry it took so long to get back. I have tried to copy and paste config sys, but it will not let me. Any suggestions

12. rkselby98

rkselby98

DO you have a program like Screen shot where you can take a picture of the window. IF not I don't know what to tell you.

13. clemsonsportsga

i went in download.com and found one of those programs. Here is what I see in my config.sys file.

Attached Files:

14. rkselby98

rkselby98

What I would try is to take out the 2 checks where nothing is beside them, save, close and reboot.

Try that and if it doesn't work put the checks back in and I will post the picture of the config sys in this post and we will see if we can get someone to look at it.

15. clemsonsportsga

did not work. i appreciate your help......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice