1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer on WinXP is Popping-up Ads Non-stop!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MelodyJeanne, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MelodyJeanne

MelodyJeanne Thread Starter

Pop-up ads have rendered my Internet Explorer browser useless. I have done everything I can think of to try to remedy the situation, ever since January when I entered my website in a "search engine". That is when the trouble began. I even bought and installed Spyware stopper (big bucks spent) from MacAfee, which does not cure the problem. Sure, it removed a lot of crapola programs that had been snuck-into my computer, but the problem remains.

I'd like to use IE again, but the popups make it impossible. I even have Yahoo emails, which, between one other user and myself only, when read on IE, are infected with insidious underlining of words, which, when clicked upon, bring up ads! That is sabotage.

If anyone has any clues out there, I'd really appreciate your efforts in writing them here. Thanks!

2. snappy_31

snappy_31

Ok so when this stuff all happens usually at some point in your travels you went to a site that really loaded you up with ads .. Here's a start for ya.

1. Right click IE Icon go to properties .. delete temp files (AND ALL OFFLINE).
    2. Clear History
    3. Delete cookies
    4. Download and install spybot Search and destroy then Update it and run wipe out everything it gives you.
    5. Download and Install Adware 6 Update and run take the bad guys out.
    6. Do a disk clean up (start>all programs>accessories>system tools>Disk cleanup)
    7. Visit http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and do the free online scan

(there are all kinds of other programs out there like CWShredder and Trojan Hunter, popup stoppers, etc that could also be helpful)

8. Download Hijack This (you'll have to get the list in other threads), Post results over here so we can look at them.

That'll keep ya busy for a bit
    Peter

3. MelodyJeanne

couple of days! :D

I do remember installing Spybot or adware killers, to no avail. The pop-ups are generated by Internet Explorer, as their logo is displayed in the upper left-hand corner of each ad. I even get them when looking at non-commercial sites, which also leads me to believe the fault to be IE's. I'll see. THANKS!

4. MelodyJeanne

Update, already:

I read in another thread here to install the Google toolbar for blocking pop-up ads. It now is working some of the time. I cannot find it as the thread had a strange title, but to whomever it is that contributed the tip, THANKS!

Alos, Peter, I used your instructions to clean-up my disk, which I had forgotten how to do. THANK YOU! I shall investigate the hijack log you mentioned as per the thread title here in this category.

MJ

5. snappy_31

snappy_31

awesome take baby steps toward finding the source of the problem and you'll narrow it down completely
    Peter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!