1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer opens 100+ Times with one click............

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by thissal, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thissal

thissal Thread Starter

Computer given to me to fix by daughter: First Step?

eMachines
    T5212
    Intel®
    Pentium D CPU 2.66 Ghz
    896 MB of Ram
    Vista

The first thing I thought to do was run scandisc or checkdisk but can't seem to find it since I'm familiar with Windows XP only. Is there a secret place to look?

The problem is with ordinary websites -- not the spam sort of popups, but just Yahoo email for example -- I click to open and it opens but with about 100+ different windows of the same website and they just keep opening until I shut down the computer.

2. Sponsor

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

4. thissal

thissal Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply Frank4d. That's another way to access scandisc I've never used so I'll give it a try. I usually access it by right click on the C drive, select properties and then tools -- which then runs when the computer restarts and takes an hour or two.

I downloaded the program you sent -- I suppose it takes a snap of the system and all processes. I'll give that a try. Thanks again for your reply. I appreciate your time so much. :)

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Download and install HijackThis as requested. Close all open windows first, then run a scan with it - which will take less than 30 seconds. Save the resulting log in Notepad. Return here, then copy-and-paste the entire log here.

It's my guess at this point that the startup load is bloated and there's an infestation of spyware and malware, but let's see what the log shows.

------------------------------------------------------------------

6. thissal

thissal Thread Starter

Hi flavallee

That's another possibility I hadn't thought about since I automatically keep my startup load at a minimum but I doubt daughter has ever done any maintenance on her computer. She took it back again for test block time so it will be a few days or more before I get it again to see if I can clean it up so it runs better for her......................before I logged on here to ask for expert advice, I did run the Ad-aware program and the CCleaner and AVG virus scan but none of those solved the problem.

Thank You and I so much appreciate your time and advice. (y)

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

When you get your hands on her computer again, just return here and we'll pick up where we left off. (y)

-------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!