1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer problem (please read)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mixx941, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Hey everyone. I recently upgraded to Win XP (from 98SE) and I am having a problem with IE. Whenever I try to visit certain web sites (www.foxsports.com, www.bestbuy.com), it loads the site, and then the program closes. Without an error message or anything.

I have contacted Microsoft about this problem. I sat on the phone with one of their "technicians" for 3 1/2 hours...troubleshooting different stuff...Finally, the "tech" said that I needed to reinstall Windows. I made him stay on the line (on an 800 number I might add) for the whole install. After the install completed, I tried IE, and it didn't do it.

1 WEEK LATER...

I come back and get on one day after work, and it starts again.

Normally, I am pretty good at troubleshooting things, as I build computers, but this one has totally blown my mind.

If anyone has any suggestions on this never-ending problem, please post back...

Thanx

-Mark

2. evilmrhenry

evilmrhenry

Both of these sites use javascript. Try out ESPN.com (which uses javascript) to see if that is the problem.

(Working link to foxsports) foxsports

3. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I want to thank Evilmrhenry for posting back to my ongoing problem. I tried www.espn.com, and it didn't do it. Still, the Fox sports website, and the Best Buy website do it.

If you haven't read my other post...I am having problems with IE Windows XP version. Whenever I visit websites (www.foxsports.com, www.bestbuy.com, www.abc.com) IE just closes. No error message or anything...Just closes.

If you have any information on this stupid problem, please post back.

Thanks a lot!!!

-Mark

4. evilmrhenry

evilmrhenry

Try this: (I don't have XP, so I may ask something unusual)

Go to Tools: Internet options: security tab.

Click "Custom Level"
    After writing down the current settings,disable everything that has to do with ActiveX, Java, or scripting.

If IE does not crash, return one setting to the normal value. Repeat.

5. beach51

beach51

Hi Mark,Have you tried the repair option for IE?Go to the control panel>Add and Remove programs>highlight IE and Internet tools>click on the remove button>dialog box will appear>put a tick in repair IE>click ok.I dont have xp either,so i dont know if that option is there,but its worth a try.

6. Brooks

Brooks Guest

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There are popups on both sites. Multiple ones on Fox, including "orbitz" (trys to steer you to its own advertising links)

So if you have any popup blockers, that could be the reason.

8. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Yes. I do have the latest version of Microsoft's Virtual Java Machine, but thanx anyway. I am on the phone with a Microsoft technician right now. We tried everything (not to mention costing a fortune on my cell phone bill). It turns out that they have never heard of this problem, and they don't know what to tell me. If you have any input, or if you know anything more on why this Internet Explorer problem is happening, please post back. I am a little sick of using Netscape. I don't like the "new" interface of 6.2.

Also, I was playing a game (Half-Life) on the internet the other day. This guy in there said that he was hacking me. I have BlackICE, and McAfee firewall, along with a hardware firewall, and I got to warnings. When I quit the game, all my Netscape bookmarks were gone. Could he've gotton in my computer???

THanks A Lot for your posts :)

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you download startuplog.zip file from the site below, unzip and run startuplog.com, it will place a startuplog.txt file on your desktop. Copy and paste the entire contents of that (not stubbpagths.txt) to your next reply and we can have a look at what you have running that could be an issue. We often use it to diagnose problems caused by spyware, adware and trojan infections.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Toys.html

10. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I opened that file with Winzip, and it just closed on me. I'm not sure why, but it just closed with no error. :(

Thanks for continuing to post back though.

-Mark

11. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

One more thing to add. I tried restarting my computer, and running the app again. It went very quick when I clicked on the icon in WinZip. But, I did manage to catch something in the command prompt window that said:

Memory Management Not Installed

Then, it closed. Nothing more. I don't know if this has anything to do with the application that you are trying to have me run.

Thanks for all your help.

12. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I don't want to keep posting in a row like this, but I just remembered something. Wether it revelant, or not, is for you to decide.

The other day, McAfee gave me a Trojan warning. I did what it reccomended (I hit continue). I don't know what that did. I ran a full system scan that night, and nothing came up.

-Mark

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ok, I'm sorry I lost track of the fact that you are running XP and the startuplog.com file is evidently not compatibile with it.

However, bear with me as I'm just learning what tools you have available in XP for troubleshooting. Msinfo32 still runs in XP, so let's use that to look at your startup profile.

From start, run msinfo32 and click on "software environment" and "startup group". Then click edit>select all>edit>copy and paste the copied text in your next reply.

About msinfo32....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q308549

You may also need to use the System Configuration Utility (msconfig) a description of which can be accessed through the links on the bottom of the above article

I don't think you answered whether you had any kind of ad or popup blocker installed. A problem similar to yours was just resolved by disabling one.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63164

14. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I tried the msinfo32, and here is what showed under "startup programs":

AIM c:\program files\netscape\communicator\program\aim\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl C1951099-A\Markis Kane HKU\S-1-5-21-861567501-789336058-1957994488-1004\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Alogserv c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\alogserv.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    America Online 7.0 Tray Icon c:\progra~1\americ~1.0a\aoltray.exe -check All Users Common Startup
    AtiPTA atiptaxx.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    BlackICE Utility c:\progra~1\networ~2\blackice\blackice.exe -closed All Users Common Startup
    desktop desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
    desktop desktop.ini C1951099-A\Markis Kane Startup
    desktop desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
    desktop desktop.ini All Users Common Startup
    iMesh Auto Update c:\progra~1\imesh\client\wiseupdt.exe /c All Users Common Startup
    McAfee Guardian "c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee shared components\guardian\cmgrdian.exe" /su All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MSMSGS "c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background C1951099-A\Markis Kane HKU\S-1-5-21-861567501-789336058-1957994488-1004\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    NvCplDaemon rundll32.exe nvqtwk,nvcpldaemon initialize All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    RealDownload d:\realdo~1\realdo~1.exe -hidden All Users Common Startup
    RealJukeboxSystray "d:\realjukebox\tsystray.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    RealTray c:\program files\real\realplayer\realplay.exe systemboothideplayer All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    WinampAgent "c:\program files\winamp\winampa.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I thank you for your continuing support.

Thanks again.

-Mark

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I see you have McAfee Guardian there, which seems to be a part of its Internet Security package which includes ad blocking. Is this enabled or disabled through that program?

http://www.mcafee-at-home.com/products/internet-security/default.asp?m=1

It's a fairly trim startup list, the principal ones I would suggest disabling for a test are

AIM

BlackIce

McAfee Guardian

You can do this by going to start, running msconfig and clicking on the startup tab. You will see check boxes there for programs loading and running at startup. You can feel free to experiment here by unchecking and rechecking individual files or groups of them for test purposes.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice