1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer Problems on my moms account and firefox problems on mine!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by enc643, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. enc643

enc643 Thread Starter

Hello... A few things first: I'm 14 years old... I have never taken computer classes - I teach myself everything by using google :p... But I have good experience of fixing problems I run into on my computer.... I can follow instructions you give me.

This is a weird issue that needs to get fixed. We have 2 accounts on our computer. We have Internet Explorer and Firefox installed. Internet explorer works perfectly on my account but on my moms account - when she tries to go to any website it says:
    Internet Explorer cannot display the web page.

On my account when I open firefox I get this message before it opens:

Could not initialize the application's security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your application's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the application and fix the problem. If you continue to use this session, you might see incorrect application behaviour when accessing security features.

We need help! We do not wish to pay for Tech Support as I am good at fixing stuff that happens to our computer. If you could help me with this issue that would be great! Reply here or send me and e-mail at Edited by Moderator....I have removed your email addy, not a good idea to post those in public; you can be a victim of terrible Spam!
    OR you could refer me to a free tech support website!

Thanks sincerely for your consideration of getting this problem fixed!
    Additional Details

I have around 120 gig free space and my antivirus is Eset Smart Security... I'm pretty sure I have no viruses as I scan with eset and malwarebytes. The problem with IE may have come from malware doing something to the registry? I use Ccleaner and Registry mechanic to clean registry issues.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's what this is. Welcome, enc643. :)

Ccleaner and Registry mechanic are just as good at corrupting the registry as malware. You'll be better off if you don't use registry "cleaners."

For your mom's account please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For the Firefox problem you'll probably have to delete the security component file or begin with a totally new profile. Here is a good explanation of the steps to take.

4. enc643

enc643 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response TerryNet. Please get back to me soon - I appreciate your help.I did what you said
    and here is the pasted results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Rene>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rene-1cb6c83e0e
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-8B-7B-D7-34

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WPN311 RangeMax(TM) Wireless
    PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B5-8A-9B-24
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, July 30, 2010 7:59:39 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:59:39 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Rene>

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try on your mom's account ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

6. enc643

enc643 Thread Starter

I did that... here is the copy and pasted results. Internet Explorer still doesn't work.:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Rene>netsh winsock reset catalog

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
    You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset.

C:\Documents and Settings\Rene>netsh int ip reset reset.log

C:\Documents and Settings\Rene>

7. enc643

enc643 Thread Starter

Oh and after I rebooted and went on my mom's account my Antivirus Eset Smart Security Got messed up so I'm redownloading the file called

ess_nt32_enu.msi

Could It be Eset that messed up my browser? Chrome doesn't even startup on my mom's but It works perfectly smooth and fast on my account. I'm almost wondering if it depends on which account I download things on.

8. enc643

enc643 Thread Starter

If it's my antivirus I'll just get another one. What Antivirus do you recommend as the best Antivirus out there?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For the least trouble with networking use the Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Yes, Eset Smart Security can mess up networking; especially if it is more than an anti-virus.

Try an IE reset. Could be a non-Windows firewall or security suite blocking the browser(s).

10. enc643

enc643 Thread Starter

My mom doesn't want me to do that because she doesn't want all her favorites, toolbars, and stuff to be erased. Is there a way I could back all the stuff up? I'm trying to solve this as best I can... were trying not to have to pay $200 for the tech support guy to come fix it. Is there another way? Or can I back it up? Thanks.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the favorites are important they should be regularly backed up like any other important data. They can be exported to a file. I'm not at all sure about the other stuff.

If you are not going to reset IE look in Tools - Internet Options - Connections tab - LAN Settings... - there should be nothing selected on that page.

12. enc643

enc643 Thread Starter

Wow!!! thank you!!!! The proxy thing was the problem!!!! Thanks for all your help in guiding me through this!

13. enc643

enc643 Thread Starter

Now for this... On my account when I open firefox I get this message before it opens:

Could not initialize the application's security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your application's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the application and fix the problem. If you continue to use this session, you might see incorrect application behaviour when accessing security features.

Do you know maybe how to fix my firefox? Could it be the same problem with my firefox?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome for the IE help. :)

Did you maybe miss my post # 3? I gave a link that I think will lead to a fix for your Firefox issue.

15. enc643

enc643 Thread Starter

It's funny how simple these fixes are. All I had to do was delete cert8.db and restart firefox. It's all fixed now. I'm still undecided if I should use Google Chrome of Firefox... Which do you think is better speed wise? I definitely like Google Chromes fast youtube speed.

edit:

Oh and do you think there is a way to speed up my pc and stuff faster? Whenever I go into task manager chrome is running like 6 processes and its slowing it down. I think my pc could have better performance.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/939367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice